Select to view content in your preferred language

Changing hosted Survey123 service names

02-07-2020 02:10 PM
ChandlerCallison
New Contributor III

We have quite a few Survey123 surveys we recently created, and we were trying to bring them into ArcMap. The problem is that the name of the hosted feature layer the survey creates is just a string of numbers and letters. I've attached a photo of what we're seeing in the Catalog pane of ArcMap. Once we drag it into the map the name shows up, but then we have to bring every one into the map until we find the feature service we're looking for. Is there a way to change that string of letters into something more useful? There's nothing in the item description or properties either.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Chandler,

Are you publishing your surveys to ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise? How are you creating your surveys (Connect or the web designer)? What version of ArcMap are you running?

Normally, both Connect and the web designer will name your feature service using the naming convention you're seeing - ie 'service_itemID' but they also give the service an alias that corresponds to the name of your survey. This alias is shown in ArcMap 10.7.1, which is the version I tested (with both ArcGIS Online and Portal 10.6.1), but older versions may not show the alias. Let me know your environment and I can test further.

Brett

0 Kudos
ChandlerCallison
New Contributor III

We're publishing to enterprise and using Connect to create the surveys. Our version of ArcMap is 10.6.1, so could that be the problem? The names show up fine in ArcGIS Pro, so our solution right now is to edit hosted feature layers in Pro rather than ArcMap.

0 Kudos
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi Chandler, I've tested with ArcMap 10.6.1 and I'm seeing the Layer names as expected. What version of ArcGIS Enterprise are you using? Please check the feature layer itself by clicking on the Service URL link.

You should see the service name in the URL ('service_itemID') but the Layer name(s) will be listed below:

Brett

0 Kudos
ChandlerCallison
New Contributor III

I'm referring to adding the layer to a map in ArcMap. As stated in the original post, I'm seeing that service URL in the catalog pane rather than the survey name. Please see original post with picture attached for how they look in catalog.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chandler,

What you are seeing in the Catalog pane (the service name) is expected - ArcMap is not as aware of ArcGIS Enterprise item properties as ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos