I am designing a survey with a nested series of questions. This means that question 2 would be based on the selection in the 1st question, and question 3 would be based on the users's selection on question 2 (which was dependent on question 1).
So, if a user makes a selection in question 3 (after making a selection in question 1 and 2), and then moves back to change his/her response to question 2 or 1, then both the questions for question 3 are displayed which makes it confusing for the user.
Is there a way around this issue?
I am using survey123 web application.
How are you designing your survey, in Connect or web designer? Can you please share the xlsx file if you are using Connect so we can take a closer look? Does it work as expected in the field app, have you tested the same workflow?
Thanks for the reply. I am using the survey123 web application.
I tried testing the survey on the Field application (after I posted this question) and it seems to be working fine over there. The field app erases all the selections for the questions nested below. The problem, however still persists when the survey is taken on a web browser. I will be sending out the final survey to users who wouldn't have the app installed on the system. Do you think there is a work around this?
I just downloaded the connect application. I will also check and see if there is any work around for this problem thru the connect application.
Did you design the survey in web designer on the website, or create the survey in Connect? Now that you have downloaded the survey in Connect, you can find the xlsx file in the survey folder it created in My Survey Designs folder. Are you able to send that xlsx to us so we can take a look at how your survey is designed?
Thanks again for your reply Phil.
Since I cannot attach an xlsx file in the comments, I have uploaded it to box linked here. Please let me know if you can access it.
I used the web designer to create the survey and not connect.
I had a quick look at your xlsx file, and I see for question 2 and question 3 that there is no relevant statement set on these questions, they are always displayed regardless of the answer to question 1? Are these the 2 questions you are referring to? The relevant on question 5 and other questions in the survey are working as expected in the field app and web app, even if you go back and change the answer to question 3, the relevant will change on further questions to match the change.
Based on what you are trying to achieve with relevance and multiple questions, I think it would be more suited to design your form in Connect and not web designer, as you can configure more settings and design a more complex form to meet your needs.
Thanks for your reply.
You are right, the survey is working as expected in the field app. However it is not working as needed in the web browser. Image 1 shows the screenshot of the survey on th browser when I selected "I was invovled in a collision" for Question 3. Before hitting submit, if I change the answer to question 3 to "I was involved in the near miss", the questions nestd under, "I was involved in a collision" is also displayed as shown in Image 2. This issue is only in a web browsers. I have tested it in Chrome, Firefox and Safari and the problem exists in all the three browsers.
Thank you for pointing that out. I have updated the survey and made that correction. The new excel file can be found here. I am getting used to using connect now.
Thanks for sharing your updated survey. I am able to reproduce the issue you have explained above, and can confirm it is a known bug we are already aware of. This issue has been previously logged via Esri support by other customers as BUG-000121994 and BUG-000101568. You can check the status of these bugs on the Esri support website. Additionally, you can contact Esri support and attach your account and details, along with your repro steps and survey, to the known bugs, which will assist in getting these resolved as soon as possible.
Currently we have this issue scheduled to be resolved in our 3.8 release, as some further development work is required. Hopefully the fix will be available in the next release in Q1 2020.