Change Geoshape Input type for Survey123 Forms

Jump to solution
01-27-2022 03:59 PM
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there,

We've used Survey123 for a long time in our organization and I typically publish new forms at the beginning of every year.

Typically we would have Survey123Forms for POlygon records that would allow users to enter a polygon Vertex-by-Vertex.

Henry_1-1643327905382.png

However, after this most recent publish (I design the Surveys is Survey123Connect). The input types were only:

Henry_0-1643327801885.png

• A general "shape" sketch which would automatically create a Circle, Square, or Triangle based on the shape of the Sketch
  • Freehand Sketch

Is there a location to customize how these Forms receive their shape input? I'd like to be able to add, or replace the general "shape" sketch with the vertex-by-vertex entry. Unsure if the new etnry options are a result of recent update or not.

Thank you!

Henry
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

You can use method=vertex in the body::esri:style column

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-lines-and-polygons...

Input Methods: vertex vs sketch

When using geoshape or geotrace questions, you can optionally define the input method of your map.That is, you can control which style of tools will be presented in the map to help users delineate a shape.  You can do this through the body::esri:style column in the survey XLSForm sheet.

The map supports to input methods:

• sketch: Enables drawing tools in the map. This is meant to help users quickly draw, or sketch, a line or polygon in one single take.
  • vertex: This input method is more appropriate when you want users to digitize shapes more accurately. The vertex input method provides tools to add vertices one at at time by:
    • Tapping on the map.
    • Centering the map at a target location.
    • Getting the coordinates through the built-in or external GPS.

The vertex method also lets users switch between edit and navigation modes, update and delete existing vertices.

You will want to experience on your own each of these two input methods and decide what is best for your particular workflow. In some cases you want a simple and quick way for people to sketch a geometry. In others you want to give them more control, even if that implies some initial trial and error with the tools until they get familiar with them.

The following example shows how you can set the vertex input method using the body::esri:style column:

type name label body::esri:style

datetreatment_dateTreatment Date 
geoshapetreatment_areaTreatment Areamethod=vertex

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DerrickWestoby

You can use method=vertex in the body::esri:style column

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-lines-and-polygons...

Input Methods: vertex vs sketch

When using geoshape or geotrace questions, you can optionally define the input method of your map.That is, you can control which style of tools will be presented in the map to help users delineate a shape.  You can do this through the body::esri:style column in the survey XLSForm sheet.

The map supports to input methods:

• sketch: Enables drawing tools in the map. This is meant to help users quickly draw, or sketch, a line or polygon in one single take.
  • vertex: This input method is more appropriate when you want users to digitize shapes more accurately. The vertex input method provides tools to add vertices one at at time by:
    • Tapping on the map.
    • Centering the map at a target location.
    • Getting the coordinates through the built-in or external GPS.

The vertex method also lets users switch between edit and navigation modes, update and delete existing vertices.

You will want to experience on your own each of these two input methods and decide what is best for your particular workflow. In some cases you want a simple and quick way for people to sketch a geometry. In others you want to give them more control, even if that implies some initial trial and error with the tools until they get familiar with them.

The following example shows how you can set the vertex input method using the body::esri:style column:

type name label body::esri:style

datetreatment_dateTreatment Date 
geoshapetreatment_areaTreatment Areamethod=vertex
Henry
by
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you for the input, Derrick - exactly what I was looking for. Will be having a meeting with our field teams to see which method is preferred out there.

I assume there's no way to use both methods in the same Survey?

Henry
DerrickWestoby

Welcome. 

I don't know for sure, but I do think that the default option always you to switch between the different sketch methods. I never use it though....all of us prefer the sketch method. 

ahargreaves_FW

Is there a way to set "freehand" as the only input type?

0 Kudos