Cascading Selects not working on survey published to Online

04-11-2018 10:41 AM
GraceBeaujean
New Contributor III

I'm having difficulty getting Cascading Selects to work on a survey after it's been published and shared online. The survey was made in Connect and works well in both the Connect environment as well as the Survey 123 Desktop application, but once it gets published online the cascading selects appear corrupted and they cannot actually be chosen from the list (the appearance type is autocomplete). They also have the message "static_instance" and read the list_name, name, and label from the xlsx. form. Originally the labels for these choices had special characters, so I eliminated those in the event that was causing the problem, but I'm still seeing errors. When you try to submit your survey in the online environment, you get the error: "String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated". 

I've tried publishing this survey with just cascading select, but also with Cascading Select and External Select. Neither time it works. 

I have published surveys from Connect before with Cascading and External Selects and have had no problem with functionality. This is the first time I have ever seen this error.

I'm attaching some screen shots as well as the xlxs. form that the survey was made in if that helps. 

6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Grace,

We are aware of the issue with cascading selects and will be fixing it as quickly as possible.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

The issue is particular to the autocomplete appearance. If possible, you can switch to the minimal (dropdown appearance) for proper operation.

GraceBeaujean
New Contributor III

Thanks, James!

I went back into survey and changed all appearances to minimal that were autocomplete. Now the cascading select is working and I am not seeing any glitches as I enter in data into the survey. Unfortunately, I am still receiving the same error: "String or binary data would be truncated. The statement has been terminated". 

Is there any other reason why you think I could be seeing that error? 

Thank you again!!

-grace

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Grace,

The normal cause of that error is one of the text fields has been specified with a too small field length (i.e., it's designed to store 20 characters and you have text that is 24 characters long).  This usually happened on a single_choice question if a number of choices were added after publishing (using Survey123 Connect 2.6 or earlier; in 2.7 this will now default to 255 characters).  One way to solve this is to change the name of the single_choice question, which will cause a new field to be added.

0 Kudos
GraceBeaujean
New Contributor III

Hi James!

I looked at my survey closer and realized there is a select_multiple question that has choices which well exceed the default 255 character limit (I also deleted the survey, downloaded 2.7, and created it anew in the hopes that that would help). The largest length of those choices is close to 480, so I changed the field length (bind::esri:fieldLength) at first to 500, but thought since it's a select multiple, I change the length to 5000 in the event all the choices are selected by the user. Unfortunately I'm still getting that same error. Is it worth completely rebuilding this survey from the ground up, i.e. writing in each question and choice line by line instead of importing a new survey from an existing xlsx file? Thank you for all your help troubleshooting as well. It's greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Grace,

Unfortunately, you cannot change the length of the field after publishing.  The easiest alternative is to give the question a new name (so that it creates a new field) and then copy the existing responses into the new field afterward to have a unified dataset.

0 Kudos