Cascading Select and External Select in ArcGIS Connect

01-31-2018 03:36 AM
ManeeshMassey
New Contributor II

Hi All! I want to design a survey form for internal use in my organization in which has a requirement select district, county and village from a drop down combo box. I want to use an External select feature of the Excel file since there could be close to a 1000 villages in each county. Each village has a village code which uniquely identifies the village as opposed to names. I want to use names for the villages but once the user selects a village by name from the list of villages, both the name as well as the underlying village code should be stored in the Excel file.

I have found resources many resources on cascading select but no good ones explaining how the External Select works.

Can anyone guide me please?

Thank a lot!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Maneesh,

You'll find the documentation for external selects at Cascading and external selects—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS . You will need to create a new worksheet in the XLS file called external_choice - it will have the same structure as the choices worksheet.  When processing the form, this worksheet becomes a csv file named itemsets.csv.

The one issue presented by what you're trying to do is the capture of the name as well as the code.  This can be done by using the pulldata function on the itemsets file, though this can be break if you are using multiple languages in your choices. 

0 Kudos