Capitalize responses without need for cap-lock or input mask

06-14-2017 04:57 PM
DeenaBowman
Occasional Contributor

Is there any way in Survey123 to apply all caps formatting to responses without the use of the input mask or using the cap-locks on a keyboard?  The business wants to maintain consistency with data entry and does not want mixed case for some records, upper case or all lower case for others.  I know this can be addressed on the back-end, but the business is interested in handling this through the Survey123 UI. 

6 Replies
deleted-user-st4HsVxccxgs
New Contributor III

I had the same problem, but I think using an input mask solves this. I cannot yet confirm that this works properly on all mobile devices, but I will be trying it on a project soon. Basically, the " > " character should change inputs into uppercase.

Also, I found this information on MS Access helpful when formatting input masks (Similar language seems to apply to Survey123 input masks): Control data entry formats with input masks - Access 

DeenaBowman
Occasional Contributor

Thank for the response Jeremy.  We tried the input mask but it has inherent limitations.  It works great for things like phone numbers, but our users were encountering problems validating if the number of characters did not exactly match the input mask.  Namely they wanted to use this for a free form text field for some inspection narrative.

0 Kudos
SMauri
by
Occasional Contributor III

This page is the official reference for ESRI Input mask

Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

LynnBerni
Occasional Contributor II

I have this exact same question. Tried the input mask but character length limitations made it impossible. Deena, did you ever figure this out?  It seems like there should be a simple fix...

0 Kudos
DeenaBowman
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lynn,

No, we never got resolution on this one.  The Department can use Pro to calculate the field to title case, but it's an extra step..

0 Kudos
AndrewHargreaves2
Occasional Contributor III

I too am running into this issue. Using an InputMask of ">XXXXXXXXXXX" doens't allow for spaces, therefore "Bob Smith" becomes "BOBSMITH"...:(

0 Kudos