Cannot end survey if answer is "no" in survey123 and survey not downloading into Survey123 connect Subscribe

11-19-2020 05:51 AM
AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, I've got a multi-part question:

First of all, I've designed a survey on the web editor of Survey123. I need to make it so that if my user selects no for the first question or yes for the first and then no for the second, the survey is directly submitted and they musn't navigate through all of the following pages or groups. I wanted to do this on the web editor, is there a way?

In addition, I have users selecting from 1000s of town names. I would like to nest these within the states they belong to. Is this possible on the web editor? 

Then I thought, maybe I'll try survey123 connect and learn some xmls stuff. But now, I try to download my web survey into connect and it just won't do it. The spinning wheel starts and it lasts at least an hour, still no result. I've tried this on both Windows 10 and Mac OS 10.15.7. What could be the problem? This question is not as urgent if the one above could be answered...

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jon_Tait
New Contributor II

"In addition, I have users selecting from 1000s of town names. I would like to nest these within the states they belong to. Is this possible on the web editor? "

You could set up a rule, so the first answer would be "Which state do you live in?" then depending on the answer to that question have another questions with the list of towns in that state. You'd need a rule and a follow on question for each state, but it's one way to do it.

OR, you could leave the 1000s of town names in a drop down list but turn on Autocomplete, so then as the user starts the type the name of their town it starts to fill it in for them

Environmental Control Officer
East Riding of Yorkshire Council, UK
0 Kudos
AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

The issue I've been having with rules is that they don't exclude useless information if the rule is met. E.g. even if I set up a rule, the survey still shows what doesn't need to be shown, which is frustrating. e.g. on googleforms there is a simple box to check "if no, submit for" or something like this.  So it would still show all the city names. 

But the second option seems helpful. I will try that. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ElizabethNaro
New Contributor II

Hi Lydia, 

For your first question on submitting/terminating a form if the user answers no to the first or second question, have you tried adding an expression to the relevance column of all following questions? For instance, if you want the form to end if the user answers that their age is under 18 years old, you can have an age question and for all following questions, including "${age} >18" in the relevance column. You have to be sure to make all following questions not required as well, or the user will not be able to submit. 

0 Kudos
AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Elizabeth-

Unfortunately, I cannot get the survey made in online to download into the connect app, so I am unable to edit the excel file. 

0 Kudos
JenMcRuer
Occasional Contributor

Hi Elizabeth, 

I'm trying to do exactly what you outline  - if an answer is no, I would like participants to just be directed to last question group in survey to inform future contact.  I have tried to add the relevant ${consent_s2s_participation}='yes' to all survey questions, but for some reason, for either yes or no it skips all survey questions with relevance expression.

Any thoughts on a different way to make this condition happen? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos