Can you use the same downloaded offline map in both Survey123 and Field Maps?

Jump to solution
11-29-2021 12:12 PM
BradM
by
New Contributor II

I have a workflow that uses both Field Maps and Survey123 on ArcGIS Enterprise. The field worker uses Field Maps to place a point on the map of their worksite, populates a couple basic fields, and then a custom attribute URL opens up Survey123 to populate a related feature layer for the inspection of the worksite. In the related feature layer there is an option to define the actual work area using the geoshape question.

I'm wondering if there is a way to use the same downloaded offline area in both Survey123 and Field Maps without having to separately download it in both Survey123 and Field Maps? In other words, can you have any downloaded map from Field Maps automatically available in Survey123? It seems very inefficient to have to download the same area twice in order to have a completely offline workflow. 

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is a Android security issue.  Apps cannot look at other apps data which makes sense.

I have asked why not just put the basemaps in the photos dir so that all apps can see it.  I got a no but not really sure why not.

It is one of the reasons Field Maps is going now since this was happening across all Esri apps.

It really limits the offline use for 123 though since there is no real way to get offline maps and must build and copy.  Esp for polygons and polylines.  We tend to use Field Maps for all geo and 123 for the form.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Offline maps cannot be shared across applications.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It is a Android security issue.  Apps cannot look at other apps data which makes sense.

I have asked why not just put the basemaps in the photos dir so that all apps can see it.  I got a no but not really sure why not.

It is one of the reasons Field Maps is going now since this was happening across all Esri apps.

It really limits the offline use for 123 though since there is no real way to get offline maps and must build and copy.  Esp for polygons and polylines.  We tend to use Field Maps for all geo and 123 for the form.

Thanks

0 Kudos
BradM
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Doug! That's interesting. That does really limit the offline use of Survey123, or at least makes it really inefficient to have to download the same area in both applications.

It also looks like once you have downloaded an offline area in Field Maps, that is the ONLY area available to you even if you have cellular connection or Wifi. I would think that if you had cell service, you would be able to view the entire web map, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Only the downloaded offline areas are available. The rest of the web map is not available unless you delete the offline areas from your device. Is that true, or am I missing something?

Thanks!

0 Kudos