Can you upload your survey results back into Survey123 after a republish?

06-12-2019 01:18 PM
BrieanneAnderson
New Contributor

I exported my data from completed surveys, they made a change to the survey and republished which resulted in me losing all the completed surveys on the web service. is there a way I can upload all the results back into the republished survey to display in Survey123 online?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have Pro you can just use the Append tool.

0 Kudos
BrieanneAnderson
New Contributor

I do have Pro but ive never actually used it, would I upload the excel file and somehow append to the survey?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Export the 123 Feature service as a GDB.  (Exporting Excel sheets of data does nothing for you and you lose all spatial - I really hope you exported a GDB first) 

Then just run Append directly into the new feature service.  Pro can do that ArcMap not so much.

0 Kudos
RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

Is the Pro append tool smart enough to grab the attachments and related records too? Or do you need to manually append those?

0 Kudos
IngridAldridge1
New Contributor III

I've done it from Excel a few times.  As long as you aren't dealing with attachments and repeats (related tables) excel can be pretty fast and I find it works better for some of my purposes than ArcPro (especially if I'm loading a large number of features >3,000). 

What I do is open my excel table and use a formula to convert the rows into GeoJSON.  Example:

="[" & CHAR(10) & "  {" & CHAR(10) & "    " & CHAR(34) & "attributes" & CHAR(34) & " : {" & CHAR(10) & "      " & CHAR(34) & "OBJECTID" & CHAR(34) & ": " & D2 & "," & CHAR(10) & "      " & CHAR(34) & "Observation_pt" & CHAR(34) & ": " & CHAR(34) & R2 & CHAR(34) & "," & CHAR(10) & "      " & CHAR(34) & "TPB_date" & CHAR(34) & ": " & (J2 - DATE(1970,1,1)) * 86400000 & CHAR(10)& "  }," & CHAR(10) & "    " & CHAR(34) & "geometry" & CHAR(34) & " : {" & CHAR(10) & "      " & CHAR(34) & "x" & CHAR(34) & ": " & S2 & "," & CHAR(10) & "      " & CHAR(34) & "y" & CHAR(34) & ": " &T2 & CHAR(10) & "    }" & CHAR(10) & "  },"

Subsequent rows need the formula to be tweaked slightly as the first [ is not needed.  The final row needs a carriage return and a ].

This will format all of your excel into a GeoJSON.  From there you can use the append in ArcGIS Online in the feature service Service URL.  It's not as straight forward as ArcPro but it works really well.  If you have attachments and related tables the process still works but there are more steps.  However, if you didn't download a GDB this will definitely help.

0 Kudos
BrieanneAnderson
New Contributor

I want my responses to show up in the survey123.arcgis.com webservice, I can get my completed surveys appended, but is there a way for them to show up online again. I know they are in ArcGIS online and I can view them there as well as Arcmap/pro, but my team really liked the analyze/Overview features, and I had a template to word setup in the Report(beta) feature.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brieanne,

You can create a form based on the new feature service using Survey123 Connect, publish it, and then view the new form on the Survey123 website.