Can you start a survey based on a feature?

06-15-2016 01:35 PM
MatthewCieri
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to start a survey from a feature. If not is this something that is in the plans or could be an enhancement.

It would be awesome to be able to select a feature like a manhole and do a survey inspection off it. This tool has the best interface and calculation ability then any of the other tools currently available.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MitchellProctor
Occasional Contributor II

You can use a submission URL to link a survey to a pre-existing feature service. Submission URL—Survey123 for ArcGIS (Beta) | ArcGIS You would still need to design your survey to match the feature service, but this might be close to what you're looking for.

MatthewCieri
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response and this actually is a step in the right direction for me. I also have come to realize after some thought that what I want to do wouldn't (and maybe shouldn't) be possible with an app like this.

I really love the way that you can create the forms and the look and feel but there doesn't seem to be a way to truly integrate it with a feature class.

For example:

1. Get a preexisting feature and auto populate some form fields with data in the feature class. - This would allow me to up date current values and change them as needed.  I know this is what collector was designed for but you can't do calculations in colector.  I would love to see the 2 products merged. It seems to me that the XLSForms would be a great designer for Collector.

I do think this is a really cool product and can't wait for it to go live I can see a lot of uses for this.

Thanks,

Matt

Joseph_Kinyon
Occasional Contributor II

Submission URL seems pretty handy.

Also:

1. I believe that you could autopopulate the excel spreadsheet that makes the form in ArcGIS and publish the form based on a feature
  2. Are you talking about selecting a single feature in the field and have it autopopulate a form?
  3. Create a domain using a unique ID for your feature and publish that form using a drop down feature to select that ID which you then join back to your feature after it is uploaded.
  4. Do your form as is and autopopulate the table with the related feature data after the form is uploaded using a coordinate to feature spatial join.
0 Kudos
MikeDahm
Occasional Contributor

I also have the same sort of questions.  If I have an existing feature class, can I use it to populate pull-downs with domains?  I would need to have the survey be limited to existing features searched through a field such as a name or ID from the feature class.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have been wanting this too.  Something like give a URL to a FS and use that to populate the drop down. But the big issue is the form is offline so how would it get to a FS to refresh the drop down?  You would at least have to have the user refresh the form while online.

I did see someone at UC that linked a drop down back to their SDE DB.  Issue was then they had to be online to create a form.  Not an option for us.

0 Kudos