Can you only use one geopoint in each survey?

05-15-2018 05:51 PM
DavidNicholls1
New Contributor II

Surely there is a way to mark (with a location, i.e a geopoint) the start and the end of a survey?  And points of interest along the way?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

While a table in ArcGIS Online can only have one point per record, there are a couple ways of working around this:

1) Create a repeat section with the second point; you can limit the number of repeats to 1 to have a start/end sequence

2) Have a second point question, but prevent it from sending the point - instead, have the latitude and longitude written in additional columns.  See The Power of Nothing for more information.

0 Kudos
DavidNicholls1
New Contributor II

James,

Excellent, that is a relief.

My aim is to have a start and finish geopoints. And of course, you need to fill those in at the

beginning and end of the survey. And I was expecting to be able to create points of interest

along the route.

I read your The Power of Nothing but I ask for a little more help. I can see there might be a tool

but I am very unsure on how to use it.

I get the idea that ArcGIS Online has only one shape point per record but its attribute

table might have many text locations. But at best that is clumsy.

Can I collect a start point with attributes, then,

Collect child records with a GPS way point of interest with attributes, then

collect a finish point with attributes.

The user see one survey but Survey123 processes two parent records-surveys and many child

Records-survey each of which has a link back to the start-parent?

Regards

David

David Nicholls

davidgnicholls@optusnet.com.au

M 0411 098 240, W 035990 7166, 03 9822 4555

0 Kudos
DavidNicholls1
New Contributor II

James

I cannot make your link “Here's a sample with a start and endpoint.”

David

David Nicholls

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
0 Kudos
DavidNicholls1
New Contributor II

James

Got it. Many thanks.

I can see this would be a neat way to store the start point for each of many points of interest including it

as an attribute for each of the point of interest records.

I cannot yet see how I how do a survey-header (the information available at start of the survey)

multiple survey-pointOfInterest, and

a survey-footer (information only available at end of the survey)

in what a user would see as a single survey.

Can you help, please?

David Nicholls

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi David,

TO create headers and footers, you need to create questions of type note, which essentially are text blocks in the survey (they take HTML formatting) - see Notes—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for more information.

0 Kudos
DavidNicholls1
New Contributor II

James

Thank you. Much appreciated.

I used the wrong terminology.

My “header” is the top part of a typical form where these are attributes common to a set of child records.

My “footer” is really part of the header or parent file but it contains attributes that are not known till the

end of the survey. And I would have liked to include geometry for this file.

I wanted multiple child records linked to the above parent files.

Each of these desirably should have geometry.

In the context of Survey123 survey-record - Arc GIS Online feature, I have to think differently.

You confirmed a survey or record or feature can only have one geometry, one geopoint.

I get the idea and the technique whereby I can store a location as an attribute (not geometry) but the

down side is that the tools to aid decsion making in Survey123 are unavaible for these child records,

I have to extract and process these via an event layer, and I do not know in advance

how many child records there will be.

So I began to think of my survey as three Survey123 surveys, each with a single geometry. Two parents and multiple children.

To implement that in Survey123, I will have have three survey forms. I wondered if I could have the child

survey records linked to their respective parents. Idealy the user would see just one survey form but Survey123

would have to process it as three different surveys.

Do you see a way forward in the latter approach?

Am I right to see this as a limitation of Survey123 relative to iFormBuilder or Fulcrum where my approach is

standard or easilly implemented?

Regards

David

PS. I attach my paper version of the form which I’d like to improve on in Survey123 version.

David Nicholls

0 Kudos
PamelaLandy
Occasional Contributor

Hi James Tedrick‌ ,If I don't use the geopoint type in my question, similarly one point is drawn per record (I suppose it must be by the  geometry -->geopoint --> esrifieldTypeGeometry  field that is added in the form scheme preview.
Is it possible to access the values of that attribute ? That field is not observed in the table for each record added.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Pamela,

The in the situation you describe (the Geopoint is not present on the form), you cannot directly access the location in the form, though you can do so after it is collected in other applications.  You could place the geopoint question in the form and make it read-only (visible but not user editable), which would then allow you to access it in other calculations in the form.