Can you add points and data to a map service already created using a new survey in Survey 123?

02-24-2020 01:25 PM
SarahReasbeck
New Contributor

Hello, 

I have created a feature layer and feature service in ArcGIS online and my company wants to incorporate the use of Survey123 to populate the fields already created with data. I have used Survey123 Connect to create a form based on the fields provided from my feature service.  When I fill out the form using the Survey123 App on my phone it does not add a new feature point to my map when I open my web map in desktop?  Am I missing some sort of link to connect adding the points and the data from the survey 123 app to my map?  I hope I am clear on what I am trying to accomplish. Thank you!

Sarah

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

In the settings tab you have to point submission_url to you feature service.  Then make sure form_id matches the name of the layer in the service.

First part is
https://www.arcgis.com/sharing/rest/content/items/{itemidhere}
Then the Feature Service Item ID like
dbb58d55af9a4d2343456bcab17ffa

What you did is build a form that looks like the service.  Now you have to tell it you want that data to go to that feature service.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
SarahReasbeck
New Contributor

Hi Doug,

Thank you for getting back to me. I tried everything you suggested and it works with adding a point to my web map through ArcGIS online. However, I am not seeing the new points in my ArcMap when I open the .mxd file and pull in the layer from my server. No information is shown in my attribute table in the catalog.

Sarah

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Does the service point to this data or is it a Hosted feature service?  If you have a service and a backend SQL they may or not be connected based on what and how you published.  Hard to tell without knowing the whole story.  

0 Kudos
SarahReasbeck
New Contributor

OK, it is a listed as a hosted feature service on AGOL. This seemed to be the only way I could get my service to show in Survey 123 Connect or I am doing something wrong.

Sarah

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have a hosted feature service and internal database those are now 2 different copies.  It would be like uploading a word doc to google drive, then editing the copy on your computer.  They are now two diff copies and not connected at all.

Not sure what you goal was.  I suggest you do some research and reading on Hosted Feature services.  

0 Kudos
SarahReasbeck
New Contributor

Ok thank you.

0 Kudos