Select to view content in your preferred language

Can you add an overlay to the camera for a photo question?

Jump to solution
04-18-2023 04:49 PM
DavidSolari
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to overlay a graphic on top of the camera viewfinder for a question? We've got a project coming up where surveyors will collect lots of IDs, licenses etc. and it'd be nice to have a rough outline of the target ID in the viewfinder to help align the final images.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GIS_Fox
Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidSolari ,

I've had field users ask this question as well for Survey123 projects. I do not see a graphic or splash on photo option on the basic templates in S123 at version 3.17 but if there ends up not being a graphic or splash addition option or or image splash to help prompt centering that might be a great idea to post on the Survey123 ideas page. I'd upvote it for sure!

Without the graphic or prompt for now if it does not exist or can't be built, one suggestion since your project sounds like it involves sensitive info regarding IDs and such could be to add a mandatory question or acknowledgement that the user must select yes or another positive acknowledge or agree-to button to take a photo squared and clearly for documentation, record, and/or liability reasons; and if yes is selected then the rule linked question opens using the S123 question rule options then allowing a photo to be taken. The photo step could also be given written prompts and an inserted image example with John/Jane Smith kind of defaults and examples that can be added as well as a redundancy/aid to the written or acknowledged instructions. Of course there's options and other ways to do it, without diving too far into it setting rules and prompts is a simple possibility for you. Hope that helps some, let us know if you post an idea and I'll follow.

Cheers,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GIS_Fox
Regular Contributor

Hi @DavidSolari ,

I've had field users ask this question as well for Survey123 projects. I do not see a graphic or splash on photo option on the basic templates in S123 at version 3.17 but if there ends up not being a graphic or splash addition option or or image splash to help prompt centering that might be a great idea to post on the Survey123 ideas page. I'd upvote it for sure!

Without the graphic or prompt for now if it does not exist or can't be built, one suggestion since your project sounds like it involves sensitive info regarding IDs and such could be to add a mandatory question or acknowledgement that the user must select yes or another positive acknowledge or agree-to button to take a photo squared and clearly for documentation, record, and/or liability reasons; and if yes is selected then the rule linked question opens using the S123 question rule options then allowing a photo to be taken. The photo step could also be given written prompts and an inserted image example with John/Jane Smith kind of defaults and examples that can be added as well as a redundancy/aid to the written or acknowledged instructions. Of course there's options and other ways to do it, without diving too far into it setting rules and prompts is a simple possibility for you. Hope that helps some, let us know if you post an idea and I'll follow.

Cheers,

Jansen Lyons - Records and GIS Section - Public Works - City of Rio Rancho, NM
DavidSolari
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Jansen, I had a feeling this wasn't offered but I wanted to make sure. Off to the Ideas page I go! And thanks for the verification ideas, we'll be sure to figure out something that works for the crews.