Can we specify a custom basemap for Geopoint Questions in Survey123?

Jump to solution
11-19-2019 09:56 PM
BenVan_Kesteren1
Occasional Contributor III

We have a geopoint type question in a Survey123 form, and currently it is using a default basemap like this:

The user would like to see other feature layers displayed in this Location window, we have created a map in AGOL, is there a way we can specify which map to use as the basemap, just as we can in Report generation etc?

I note we can use other ESRI Basemaps, but I cannot see my own maps in this list.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

Yes, this is currently possible as a Beta feature in Survey123 using the Standard map types option available in the Settings menu under Map options. You will need to enable this setting in both Connect and the field app, and then you can use the Linked Content option in Connect for that survey to link a web map to your survey.

The web map is then added as a basemap in the basemap chooser for a geopoint question. You can also select it as the default in Connect for all map questions in the survey or set it as a default for a specific geopoint question only in the xlsx file using the body::esri:style column.

You can find more information about including a map in your survey and the defaults in the documentation here: Include a map in your survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

And please refer to the documentation on EAC for beta features and Standard map types: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

All users using the survey will need to have Standard map types enabled if you want them to use the web map as the basemap.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Ben,

Yes, this is currently possible as a Beta feature in Survey123 using the Standard map types option available in the Settings menu under Map options. You will need to enable this setting in both Connect and the field app, and then you can use the Linked Content option in Connect for that survey to link a web map to your survey.

The web map is then added as a basemap in the basemap chooser for a geopoint question. You can also select it as the default in Connect for all map questions in the survey or set it as a default for a specific geopoint question only in the xlsx file using the body::esri:style column.

You can find more information about including a map in your survey and the defaults in the documentation here: Include a map in your survey—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

And please refer to the documentation on EAC for beta features and Standard map types: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

All users using the survey will need to have Standard map types enabled if you want them to use the web map as the basemap.

Regards,

Phil.

JimmyKroon
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks! This is a huge help for our field staff.

0 Kudos
JudyMak
New Contributor II
 You will need to enable this setting in both Connect and the field app, and then you can use the Linked Content option in Connect for that survey to link a web map to your survey.

This note about enabling Standard maps made all the difference between this not working and working for me, since in the official documentation for Linked Content so far, this is not mentioned. It's easy to get stuck trying to configure the survey settings and forget that there are also general Survey123 Connect user settings. Thank you!

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW

@JudyMak where is this in the documentation? I can't find what it refers to...

0 Kudos
PeterMacKenzie2

Philip Wilson‌   ... to confirm - there is currently not a released version of Survey 123 that allows you to add a custom basemap to a geopoint question. i.e. only Beta ?

0 Kudos
JimmyKroon

Peter MacKenzie‌ - not correct, this is available in the current release of Survey123 - but the standard maps feature is marked as a beta feature within it.

PeterMacKenzie2

Great! I've used the linked content to make it work now. Thanks.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Peter (and Jimmy),

Standard map types (which includes using a custom web map as the basemap to a geopoint) are fully supported with version 3.10 and above. This is no longer a beta feature, and you can choose to use Basic or Standard map types in the app settings, note that Standard is now the default. You can add custom basemaps to your surveys using the Linked Content tab in Connect. This was released as supported in August 2020. You can find more information here: Include a map in your survey—ArcGIS Survey123 | Documentation.

Regards,

Phil.

ahargreaves_FW

@Anonymous User 

For a geopoint I have:

1. body::esri:style set to "map= 00xxxxxxx5ef22"
  2. Linked content includes map 00xxxxxxx5ef22
  3. Using the map tab in connect I set my basemap to 00xxxxxxx5ef22 and see it within connect.
  4. I ensure I have full access to map 00xxxxxxx5ef22 and all its layers.

However, when attempting to open that GeoPoint question in iOS app it constantly fails to load - giving no error. If I switch the basemap to any esri basemap it loads immediately. Any advice on what the issue is here?

0 Kudos