Can't view signature in Enterprise 10.8.1?

Jump to solution
10-09-2020 06:37 AM
ShelbyZelonisRoberson
Occasional Contributor III

I created a survey via Survey123 Connect. It's public and everything seems to be working properly on the front end. My problem is: I have a signature field, and I'm submitting forms with signatures, but I can't figure out how to see the signatures on the back end in the feature service. 

In the feature service, it says there are 0 photos/files, no attachments. I tried looking at the service in a web map and in the data tab of the Survey123 website and it looks like the signature field doesn't even exist in the schema (though it's definitely in the survey and in the schema preview in Connect). I also tried creating a Feature Report and the signature field shows up blank. 

Am I missing something? I'm using Enterprise 10.8.1 and I was under the impression that signatures/attachments are supported. Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue was determined to be BUG-000126974: Photo attachments are missing for public surveys in ArcGIS Enterprise when the survey is submitted by an anonymous user and the submitter has the ‘Only add new records’ permission.”

The issue is marked to be resolved in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9. 

Thank you,
Zach

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Shelby Roberson‌, 

This is a very strange issue. I had tested on my end with an internal 10.8.1 ArcGIS Enterprise environment and the attachments had come through on my test service so I would expect with a 10.8.1 ArcGIS Enterprise environment you should see the same thing. 

I apologize but I had submitted a couple of Esri Test points to capture the web traffic and see if there were any error messages when uploading. 

There was not both the upload request (to upload the attachment) and apply edits request sent and succeeded as expected: 

Upload:

Apply edits:

Both of these requests and responses look the same as my test survey that is working. I was then thinking that maybe something with the firewall or security on the machine was causing the issue but I don't see anything in the requests that would point to that (Not completely ruled out though)

One weird thing I see when I pull the Hosted Feature Service into ArcGIS Pro and try to add an attachment to one of my sample Esri points, ArcGIS Pro throws an "Edit operation failed" error message: 

Although again in the web traffic there are no error message that would indicate why the edit operation failed. It just indicates nothing was uploaded. 

To confirm if you pull the Hosted Feature Service into ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap do you see the same error message when trying to add an attachment?  

I would suggest setting the ArcGIS Server logs to debug and try submitting a record again and see if there are any error messages in the ArcGIS Server logs. 

A few questions I have are: 

- It looks like the survey was created in the ArcGIS Survey123 Web Designer but in looking at the item details page for the root hosted feature service I only see a stakeholder view, not a field worker view. Was the Field Worker view deleted? 

- Is this the only hosted feature service in your ArcGIS Enterprise Organization where this behavior is observed? 

- If you publish another test survey with an image question is the same behavior observed? 

- I don't think this is the case because I would expect to see an error message in the web traffic but does IT have a file size restriction or data restriction in the environment? 

What is really strange is ArcGIS Pro (at least for me) is throwing an error message, but ArcGIS Survey123 is not. 

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Zach - thank you SO MUCH for going through this. If I can't get the signature to work, we can't do the project, so I'm very glad to have you looking at it.

I'm going to go through the tests you suggested this morning. In the meantime, here are a few answers/comments:

1. I definitely built the survey in Connect so I'm not sure why you are seeing that it was built in Web Designer. There is no field worker view, but there never was one. My other surveys published from Connect don't have Field Worker view, just stakeholder.

2. So far, this is the only behavior where this is observed.

3. I have previous surveys (published at 10.7.1) that ask the user to take a photo. The images have always worked fine with this survey. I don't have any other surveys with a signature, though. I can do a test of this today.

4. We do not have any file size or data restrictions for this environment.

Let me know if you'd rather switch to email or keep going back and forth here. Thanks again! 

*Update 1*: I AM indeed able to add an attachment in Pro with no error. I can view it in the feature service in Portal. If you look at the service, I added an image to ObjectID #2 in Pro.

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Shelby Roberson‌,

Thank you for confirming that information! Yeah, let's connect over email and see if we can schedule a time for a call to take a look into the behavior. Please feel free to email me at ZSutherby@esri.com and I will be happy to schedule a time that works best. 

That is strange that Pro let's you upload an attachment with no error I will test again on my end and see if I still see that same behavior in Pro.

Thank you, 

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Thanks Zach! I sent you an email. 

Shelby

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue was determined to be BUG-000126974: Photo attachments are missing for public surveys in ArcGIS Enterprise when the survey is submitted by an anonymous user and the submitter has the ‘Only add new records’ permission.”

The issue is marked to be resolved in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Hi @ZacharySutherby 

I'm revisiting this survey because I need to change it to be pointing to an existing feature service that lives in my enterprise geodatabase. I got it set up perfectly, but now during testing I'm back to the signature not showing up in the report!! 

Referencing the bug we logged, it looks like all of the options are grayed out for me to choose what permissions an anonymous user has because this is a nonhosted dataset. Any work around? I really really need to be able to use a nonhosted dataset because I have attribute rules that get calculated on the feature class upon survey submittal. 

Thanks!

Shelby 

EDIT after posting:

I did some googling and feel like it might be related to this issue? https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000024606 

Except I'm running 10.8.1, which supposedly support attachment keywords, so why am I having the issue?

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Unfortunately I don't have an ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 environment readily available to me at the moment (working on obtaining one now). ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.1 supports attachment keywords for Hosted Feature services by default not registered services as the attachment table created in an Enterprise Geodatabase doesn't support keywords by default. 

I haven't tested this workflow (in theory I think it should work) but Pro 2.7 added a new Geoprocessing tool called Upgrade Attachments, the tool adds two fields KEYWORDS and EXIFINFO to the attachment table schema in the Enterprise Geodatabase. Once these fields are added keywords specified in an Add Attachment REST call should be added to the attachment table in the EGDB. 

Until I can explicitly test I'm not sure if that will work or if it will work in Survey123 reports either. Once I have access to an environment I will test the workflow and update this post with testing results. 

Thank you,

Zach

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Thanks Zach! 

I was able to use a workaround to get the signature to show up... instead of using the field name ${signature}, I was able to use ${#$attachment} instead. This works because I only have one attachment (the signature) that I need to show in my report, but if I had multiple attachments this would still be an issue.

I found another geonet post with the exact same problem, so I don't think it's just me!: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/integrate-image-attachement-in-arcgis-surve...

0 Kudos