Select to view content in your preferred language

Can't see attachments on the backend of Survey123 in Form View window

03-08-2024 08:26 AM
MPach
by
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having some trouble with my survey. The survey was created in Survey123 Connect and is connected to a feature class so all data that gets submitted to the survey gets stored directly in the feature class. Everything in the survey works great except for the attachments. The "type" in the survey is set appropriately to "file" and the survey allows you to upload the file and submit the survey, so no problems there. 

The problem seems to be on the backend and I could swear this worked fine before, but our Enterprise Portal, where the survey lives, was updated recently, so I don't know if that effected something or I changed a setting by accident. As I stated previously, I could have sworn the attachments used to show up in the Form View on the right side for each record (see screen shot below).

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you

MPach_0-1709914921037.png

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MPach
by

I guess I need to bump this again. I hope it made sense. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? 

0 Kudos
MicZatorsky_AEC
Occasional Contributor III

Can you see the attachments when you examine the hosted feature layer through the Portal Item page?
This will confirm if the attachments are there at all ...

MicZatorsky_AEC_0-1710310205344.png

0 Kudos
MPach
by

Thanks for replying any idea what the problem might be given this information. It looks like I'm capturing the names of the file in a field, but the files are not showing as being attached. 

Survey123NoPicture.PNG

0 Kudos
ToddW_stl
Esri Contributor

@MPach  what appearance is set on your file type question?  Is it within a repeat?  If it's in a repeat, I'd suggest removing that and using the multiline appearance to simplify the schema.  If it's in a repeat and NOT multiline, there may be some funky schema things happening, and the Enterprise upgrade may have caused an issue.  Without knowing much more, you might want to check out the ArcGIS Pro Attachments toolset if there's something that might "fix" things after the upgrade.  https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/an-overview-of-the-attachmen...   Alternatively, create and test with a new survey.

0 Kudos
MPach
by

Thanks for the reply @ToddW_stl . I was working with an ESRI tech on it and we tried nearly everything to get it to work including stripping the survey down to just 2 questions and nothing helped so far. I'll check out what you said though. Thank you

0 Kudos
ToddW_stl
Esri Contributor

You worked with the tech with your existing survey and existing service/data, correct?  I think I noticed your issue (attachments not showing in Form View window) when I was testing trying to enable supportsApplyEditsWithGlobalIDs on my Non-Hosted Feature Layers in ArcGIS Enterprise, but that test data has since been deleted.  Now I'm thinking that maybe something went wrong in the relationship because of the upgrade, OR if your upgrade was from several versions ago, be sure to check out the gray note boxes in Upgrade Attachments, along with the rest of the info on that page.

My solution for my testing problem was (which may not work for you if you need to preserve all existing data):

1. Publish a new survey in Survey123 Connect - be sure to remove form_id and submission_url so it's not trying to update an existing service.  This should create a new Hosted feature layer in your portal.
  2. Log in to the portal, navigate to your Content, and export the Hosted feature layer to file geodatabase.
  3. In ArcGIS Pro, COPY all the data in the file geodatabase (should be 1 feature class, 1 relationship class, and 1 related table), and PASTE into your enterprise geodatabase as the data owner.
  4. (Not required) Rename the newly copied items in the enterprise geodatabase, if desired, then examine the properties to ensure the relationship was preserved.
  5. Catalog window in ArcGIS Pro - Select the feature class and related table, right-click and Add to Map
  6. In Contents pane, right-click the feature class layer, Configure pop-up, select the checkbox at the bottom to Show List of Attachments
  7. Select layer and table in Contents, Sharing, and Share as a Web Layer, be sure to select Feature under "Reference registered data"
  8. In Survey123 Connect, re-configure the form_id and submission_url to point to the newly published FeatureServer and republish the survey
  9. Test collecting a new new survey with attachments
  10. Test if these attachments show up in the Form View window
  11. IF you DO see attachments in the form view
    1. Review the "re-establish" link in my other theory below - you may be able to load existing data into the new feature class/table in your enterprise geodatabase
  12. IF you DO NOT see attachments in the form view
    1. I don't expect this to be the case with a fresh survey/data, but can you provide any more info on ArcGIS software names, versions, and configuration?

IF you believe your relationship is broken and don't want to/can't perform the steps above, this is an untested theory, but you could try:

I guess it won't hurt to send more good luck your way....  haha!

MPach
by

I'll make sure to check all that out. I'm currently really busy with Lead and Copper Rule projects right now and hope to get back to this soon. I actually just got out of a meeting with Freese and Nichols, who will be working on a project for us that might negate the need to do any of this testing because this survey will be moved over to ArcGIS Online to supplement the other project built, so I think they will probably just rebuild the survey itself. 

Mark

0 Kudos