Can't generate reports w/ multiple line appearance in report template

Jump to solution
12-02-2019 07:19 PM
JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

Can't generate report, I receive the following error - "Error occurred when rendering by the report engine. The tag "nested_repeat_1.field1|appearance:"multiline"". The tag "nested_repeat_2.field2|appearance:"multiline"" should be the only text in this paragraph."

The quoted line is repeated multiple times, from other posts on the forums it seems that multiline appearance is not compatible with report templates.

These seems to be known about for almost two years, is there a fix in place/specific formatting or patch coming soon?

Cheers

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James,

It looks like the issue is related to the formatting in the template. I tried to move the appearance:"multiline" to a standalone line and it will work.

Could you try this report template I modified to see if that works for you?

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James,

Do you refer to the issue that the error message repeat two times <The tag "nested_repeat_1.field1|appearance:"multiline"". > on the website?

Or you have issue with appearance:"multiline" with your report?

Would you share your xls form and the report template with us to take a look here?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

The error appears when I try to generate a report with my report template. 

I had several text fields which didn't honor the format they were entered into Survey123 once generated into report template so I tried to apply appearance:multiline in the report template to all my multiline questions but received the below error to dozens of fields.

Error occurred when rendering by the report engine. The tag "nestedrepeat.repeatedfield|appearance:"multiline"". The tag "nestedrepeat2.repeatedfield2|appearance:"multiline"" should be the only text in this paragraph. 

The error was not applied to all multiline but was not consistent why some errored and why others didn't. I ended up deleting appearance:multiline from many fields to see if it would fix the issue, the report template attached is the version before the deletes happened (I have attached XLSForm and report template (in full) with csv for pulldata reasons).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi James,

It looks like the issue is related to the formatting in the template. I tried to move the appearance:"multiline" to a standalone line and it will work.

Could you try this report template I modified to see if that works for you?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
JamesBailey
Occasional Contributor

Thanks heaps! Fixed my issue.

0 Kudos
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Just to let you know that this is also documented on our doc that it's required to place multiline appearance on a dedicated line.

Feature report templates—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation