Can Survey123 pull user information to populate a field?

05-15-2019 12:45 PM
DavidGilbey
New Contributor II

I am creating a new inspection form and interested in having Survey123 capture who completed the survey.  Not sure where to start looking for the steps to make this reality?  Is there a way to pull the user email from the ESRI login?  Also, this is something that could be captured in the background and added to the data set, but not necessarily asked of the user to enter in the survey form.  Ideas appreciated!

Dave

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
BrettStokes
Esri Contributor

Hi David,

By default, your surveys already capture this information. The ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers published by Survey123 contain Creator and Editor fields (as well as CreationDate and EditDate). These fields store usernames from the ESRI logins, assuming your surveys aren't public and a login is required to access them in the first place. 

Examine the Data tab of your feature layers through the Survey123 (or ArcGIS Online) website. You will need to click on the table settings to expose these extra columns. If you specifically need to store the email addresses for your logged in users this can also be done easily when creating your survey. Simply use the email question type in your survey when publishing from Survey123 Connect. This adds a hidden field that stores the email address linked to the ESRI login used to complete the survey.

Please note that adding an email question to your survey from the Web Designer has a different outcome. This requires the person completing the survey to type in their email address into a text field, it just forces them to enter an address in the right format (eg something@domain.com). 

Hope this helps,

Brett

0 Kudos
NicholasDay
New Contributor III

In place of using the email. I would like my form to use the users first and last name. I have found that you can pull the username, but have not been able to find how to pull the first and last names. I assume the information is available because it displays in the application where users would log in/out. Is this possible?

0 Kudos