Can I have questions in my survey that aren't stored in the feature layer?

Jump to solution
10-25-2018 05:55 PM
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

I would like to have questions in my survey that affect the relevant column but are not needed in my actual data set.

For example:

I am collecting trap information, I need to record certain information when the trap is set and different information when it is collected.

If I have a question at the beginning of my survey asking the field tech if they are setting traps or collecting them then using the relevant column I can show only those fields that are important to either task; but I don't need to store whether they are setting or collecting a trap in the feature layer (in fact it avoids problems if it isn't stored).

I am using a hosted feature layer in AGOL.

I am using Survey123 Connect Version 3.0.142

Note:

• There is a lot of information for each trap that doesn't change between setting and collecting so having two different features would be less effective.
  • The trap sites are relatively close together and they alternate between setting and collecting traps so switching between two different forms would be less effective.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

HI Benjamin,

Yes, you can do exactly this! By entering 'null' into the bind::esri:fieldType column for your 'setting/collecting traps' question, the question won't be recorded in the feature service after the survey, letting you make this question as essentially a UI element only. You can find more ifnromation about this here: Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

HI Benjamin,

Yes, you can do exactly this! By entering 'null' into the bind::esri:fieldType column for your 'setting/collecting traps' question, the question won't be recorded in the feature service after the survey, letting you make this question as essentially a UI element only. You can find more ifnromation about this here: Esri custom columns—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Thank you very much Claire That worked perfectly and thank you for the link it helped answer other questions I had.

0 Kudos