Can I edit a hosted Feature Layer's aliases without consequence when it's used in Survey123

06-29-2018 05:54 AM
ANRGIS
by
Occasional Contributor

Some of my questions and notes in the survey are so verbose the data tab is virtually unusable through MySurveys. I would like to change them to something simple but want to retain the long description in the survey form. Example below.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hello,

Yes, the aliases can be altered without affecting the Survey123 form.  When Survey123 Connect or the website create a feature service as part of creating a form, they use the question label as the alias to ensure it is easy for the author to understand which data corresponds to a question.  Your renaming of the alias will alter the appearance in the Survey123 webpage's Data tab table, though.

0 Kudos
ANRGIS
by
Occasional Contributor

I'm ok with the data table changing. Thanks. I created some report templates that will have the long, verbose text. I need folks to see their survey records hence changing the aliases. Looking forward to printing multiple reports from the selected or filtered records!

0 Kudos
Lars_EngelsbyMosbech
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Any ideas on how to change alias on fields that are hosted in the portal?
I need to change the alias, but portal dosent support it through the data tab and the alter field function in desktop says that the datatype isnt supported.. And update in Survey123 app dosent update this on the feature service..

Best,

Lars

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Lars,

Are you using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?  In general, ArcGIS Pro has better support for working with feature layers.

0 Kudos
Lars_EngelsbyMosbech
New Contributor II

Hi James,

I tried both Pro and ArcMap.

See attached photo from Pro..

So far i have tried:

1. Through the Survey123 app. However, when first published, changes made in Survey123 s´dosent update the alias.

2. The gp tool Alter field. But it seems hosted feature services arent supported with this tool (both in pro and ArcMap/ArcCatalog).

3. Through the REST endpoint. The Update Service definition box is empty for hosted feature layers.

I guess i am potentially looking into something that cant be done? Unless you have some kind of a backdoor? 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Lars - by Update Service definition you are looking at Update Definition (Feature Layer)—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers ?  That should be the proper REST endpoint.

0 Kudos
Lars_EngelsbyMosbech
New Contributor II

Hi James,

Thanks, but been there, tried that.. For hosted feature services in the portal, the update definition feature is not possible. Its only possible in ArcGIS Online.. Do you know any other options? I need this for both updating alias and coded values...

Best,

Lars 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Lars,

The updateDefinition resource is available for feature services in the hosted data store in ArcGIS Enterprise.  For services published via ArcGIS Pro / ArcMap, you would need to revise the domain in the desktop tools and republish (or, if in an enterprise GDB, alter the domain in the eGDB, which likely will require a service stop/restart).

0 Kudos