Can I change how name and label info display in data that is already submitted

12-06-2017 03:46 PM
GarretDubois
New Contributor II

I have a field in my survey that is showing the information in the name column rather than the label column when the submitted data is viewed in survey123 for ArcGIS, or exported from survey123 to AGOL. I'm not sure why, as there are other similar rows displaying properly.

Can I change this to display the label information rather than the name information for data already submitted?

6 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Garret - can you confirm the question type that you are seeing this behaviour in? Select_one questions will show the the name and not the label. The data itself is written as the name column and a domain is created to so that the labels seen in Survey123 will be seen in ArcGIS Online; in all but file geodatabase exports, ArcGIS Online provides the code (choice names) instead of labels.  You can export the data with the labels via ArcGIS Desktop tools - see Problem: Coded value domain descriptions are not maintained after exporting data  .

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
KaitlinFinan1
New Contributor II

Hi John,

I have been experiencing a similar problem and tried clicking on your " Problem: Coded value domain descriptions are not maintained after exporting data" link but the webpa...

It was my understanding that the "name" column in excel represented what the filed name would be in an ArcMap attribute table. However, when I download the data, the "label" column is being used to name all of the fields.  This is not just true for select_one questions, but all of them. I attached an example of what my survey names are compared to the field names in the attribute table.

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Name is the field name and the label becomes the alias.  

You can change which to show with a setting in ArcMap attribute table.

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
LorettaWinton1
New Contributor III

Hi Doug,

That doesn't work. It does show the label/alias for all other fields, but apparently it is a known limitation of cascading selects. 

But thanks for trying!

Lori

0 Kudos
MeganMuellerRMW
New Contributor II

I am having the same problem.  Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
LorettaWinton1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have not seen a workaround for this problem, therefore I am trying to create my own. Here is the schema.

I have a select_one choice list (dca_category) that is used as a cascading select for another select_one question (dca). Because the name field is displayed in a dashboard I created, I have used the pulldata calculation to return the more informative label into another field (dca_label). However, I have over 5000 previous records that I need to go back and populate the dca_label field. I imagine I can use the Field Calculator in ArcGIS Pro to do this, but what is the syntax? Can anyone help or provide a better solution?

Thanks,

Lori

0 Kudos