Can a existing survey in survey 123 be edited by multiple authors?

02-06-2019 11:08 AM
DavidGilbey
New Contributor II

We are in the early stages of implementing Survey123 forms for data collection.  As a group we are wondering how, once forms are created, can the form be edited by more than one author?  Can surveys  be edited by authors that were not the original creator?   

Dave

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidGilbey
New Contributor II

I guess a simpler way of asking the above question is can I edit surveys I do not own?  if the answer is no, how are groups and organizations addressing this?

0 Kudos
PhilipQueen
Occasional Contributor

To provide an answer to how organizations are dealing with this:

My org. is creating a large survey that's been a months long process when you include all of designing, testing, map/view/dashboard making, and field testing. I have been in charge of survey publishing, so the local file on my computer is what is published through Survey123 Connect. However, we retain a "Master" document in a shared drive that allow synchronous editing. When we want to update or just test the survey, I pull a copy of the Master into my survey folder, move the existing copy to a backup folder, and then rename the master to the proper name for Survey123 to read.

Of course, this means I have to do all of the version workflow manually. Both the Master and the official survey copy need to be kept up to date, and changes to one need to be "pushed" to the other. But it does allow multiple of us to build out a very large survey while working simultaneously. Obviously, if you go this route, backups and clear communication with your team are vital.

It would be great to other solutions to this problem, also.

survey123 survey123connect‌ #survey123_versioning

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi David,

Currently, Survey123 does not support multiple authors of a survey.

StephanieWilliams2
New Contributor

Is there any chance this might change in the future?

I am the primary creator of surveys for my team and the surveys are shared within our group. However sometimes updates need to be made when I am out in the field (where I am often working remotely and offline and not able to log on to make the changes). I'd be looking to only add 1 or 2 additional authors if this was made a feature.