Beta - Survey123 Connect Create geotrace from coordinates

08-28-2019 02:24 PM
ChrisBlinn1
Occasional Contributor

I was looking to create a line (and eventually maybe a polyline) using coordinates from geopoints.

I came across this post and thought it would be as simple as calculating the value for the geotrace like so:

concat(${starty}, ' ', ${startx}, ';', ${endy}, ' ', ${endx})

But I keep getting errors, and I have tried multiple iterations.

Knowing geotrace inputs are still in beta I wasn't sure if I was heading down a dead end road, but that post gave me some promise.

Is there something wrong with my syntax, or as I mentioned, am I just trying to do something not yet supported?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Shwu-jingJeng
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chris,

Are you a member of survey123 early adopter community program? We do have document showing how to capture line/polygon with calculation and also provide a sample of the form for beta testers to try.

I'd recommend you to join our early adopter community program to access the beta features.

Thanks,
Shwu-Jing
ChrisBlinn1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Shwu-jing.  I am a member of the early adopter program, but neglected to read through the forums.  I tracked down the ConstructingLinesAndPolygons.zip.  I will attach it here for others.

0 Kudos
PaulSolsrud
New Contributor II

Thanks for this. I was able to get the point collection to work, but that's old news. I still can't get the polygon collection to work using either my own, or your zip file data. When I click on the map in Survey123 connect, it simply doesn't do anything.

Is there any more documentation on the geotrace functions?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It might depend on a few things - 

What type of device are you using to collect the data?

Are you using an external GPS?

Have you applied the setting within the body::esri:style for the method of capture (method=vertex for GPS enabled capture)?

How is your form setup; do you have multiple questions for multiple features? I have noticed that if you build a form with two types of geometries within the main form; that the second will not work unless it is placed into a repeat. This is due to the underlying structure of how Survey123 works with a Hosted Feature service and requiring a primary feature layer to write the data into.

I have a survey form that uses a geoshape as the main feature, but then also have related 2 separate points (one for photos and another for tabular data), a separate polygon, and two related tables for each polygon captured. works great.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

With 3.6 released, the documentation has been updated to explain geotrace and geoshape collection: Geotrace and geoshape—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation .  You may  may also want to review the blog post on polygon/line collection, Survey123 Tricks of the Trade: Lines and Polygons

0 Kudos
PaulSolsrud
New Contributor II

Thank you, those links helped. I updated my Survey 123 Connect app, and now

I got it working.

Paul Solsrud, PMP

Product Manager | Cooperative Network Services, LLC

14 Main St SW | P.O. Box J | Menahga, MN 56464

320.250.1296 (Direct) | 218.564.3000 (Main Office)

paul.solsrud@cooperative-networks.com

0 Kudos
TylerDeBruin
New Contributor III

Thanks for the helpful articles. I was reading through them and I still have an additional question. Is there a way to transfer line data from arcgis online to a survey123 geotrace via a dynamic hyperlink? I would be nice to select a line in arcgis online and have it autopopulate the line in survey123.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tyler,

Yes, you can specify the value as a sequence of Y X values separated by a semi-colon:

Y1 X1;Y2 X2;Y3 X3;...

I plan to publish a blog soon showing an Arcade script that provides this.

TylerDeBruin
New Contributor III

Thanks a lot James, that is very helpful. I look forward to your blog on the subject. 

0 Kudos