Best workflow for exporting data?

Jump to solution
05-10-2021 08:17 AM
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Hello everyone, I have a feature on arcgis online collected with survey123. It has about 500 records, and each one has at least 2 photos.

Survey123 worked great for collecting the data, and viewing it online works well also, but I need to be able to export it so I can bring it into our SDE environment. The reason I need to do this is so I can turn it into a table that I can relate to other features in our GIS warehouse.

Really the main issue I have is getting the values entered to export correctly. For the survey questions that have a text box format, the data exports correctly. However for any question that is in a dropdown / choice format, the records will just say 'choice1, choice2', etc. 

There's also the matter of the pictures but if I need to have a staff member go through manually and match them back up thats doable. The big thing is the values for each record. I have to be able to export these.

What is the correct/recommended workflow to be able to do this? Thank you.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. To export photos, one approach I have used in the past is to first download the Survey123 data as a File Geodatabase (you can export to File Geodatabase from the Data tab in the Survey123 website), and then follow steps here: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011912

I am guessing there is now a better approach using Notebooks, but the above worked for me in the past.

For the values in dropdown lists, what you see is expected because when data is exported from ArcGIS to a non-Esri format such as Excel, CSV, etc, the value that gets exported is not the label of the dropdown but the code.  At this time, you should be able to do a find & replace in your data to get your labels back.  In the future, when you are designing your survey, you could use the Modify Schema option in the web designer to specify in advance what code (name) you want for your list values.  The Modify Schema option is only available before you publish your survey.

IsmaelChivite_0-1620661678808.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. To export photos, one approach I have used in the past is to first download the Survey123 data as a File Geodatabase (you can export to File Geodatabase from the Data tab in the Survey123 website), and then follow steps here: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000011912

I am guessing there is now a better approach using Notebooks, but the above worked for me in the past.

For the values in dropdown lists, what you see is expected because when data is exported from ArcGIS to a non-Esri format such as Excel, CSV, etc, the value that gets exported is not the label of the dropdown but the code.  At this time, you should be able to do a find & replace in your data to get your labels back.  In the future, when you are designing your survey, you could use the Modify Schema option in the web designer to specify in advance what code (name) you want for your list values.  The Modify Schema option is only available before you publish your survey.

IsmaelChivite_0-1620661678808.png

AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response. Looks like I'll just have to do find and replace this time for the attribute values.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not sure if you're still in this predicament, but I highly recommend using ArcMap for this problem.

I was having the same issue as you in ArcPro when exporting my Survey 123 features to a table, only seeing "choice0" etc. I seemed to not get this issue in ArcMap for whatever reason.

AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Yes I am actually, I had to put this aside for a while due to other projects. So I will try using arcmap and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't use the Table to Excel tool because you'll get the same results. I would just copy the whole attribute table. There's probably a better way to do it but this seems to work.

0 Kudos
AaronManuel2
New Contributor III

Hey Ken, I had to focus on other projects for a while but I'm looking at this again and still having issues. I can't export the survey123 feature in arcmap. I'm getting an out of bounds error. Something to do with coordinate systems I'm assuming but I can't resolve it. Pro displays the points ok but then I have the issues with getting the codes and not the actual values.

Have you run into this? 

0 Kudos