Best way to Caputure Multiple photo location for survey points

04-23-2020 09:19 AM
DamianSmith
New Contributor III

When capturing survey points in Survey 123 is there a way to capture individual photos geolocation attributes? We attempting to use Survey 123 for wildland fire fuels monitoring but would like to ensure that were apple to capture individual photo location data possibly without having to individually enter each location, not really practice. We have the main point but would like those photos georeference so it can potentially be pulled into a story map

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. Here are some ideas:

If you use calculations to set the geometry of a geopoint question, you will have your photos in the map right away. If instead you keep the XY coordinates as attributes, you will need an extra step to create an event layer before you can see the photos in the map.  Either method will work. The key is to use the EXIF as shown above to extract the true XY coordinates of each photo.

DamianSmith
New Contributor III

I'm including multiple photo questions as you point out they will be end-user submission. We have a minimum of 4 photos from each cardinal direction around the central survey point. Additionally, we have photos based on presence/absence responses of different categories such as  Cultural resources, Invasive species, and any species habitat of concern. These are all for monitoring purpose, I'm currently in the processing of editing the survey. What would be the best way to go about editing the image questions to set the repeats and geo point calculations. These survey responses will be recording using iOS or Andriod Devices. Would it be best to make the schema edits in the desktop application?

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

If you go with repeats, you definitively need to use Survey123 Connect. Use Connect to create your form, with all the repeats and rules to hide and show questions, and then let Connect create the feature service and related layers for you.

Be careful with this one: BUG-000113652 because you will run into it almost for sure!  iOS and Android are both supported by the Survey123 field app, so whatever you author in Connect you will be able to handle from the device.

0 Kudos
DamianSmith
New Contributor III

Thanks  I'll give the repeats a go and create a test copy of my survey.  The repeats seem to be my best solution available to me, as I've already established multiple rules to make the process transparent to our users  

0 Kudos
RobertGeitner
New Contributor III

Seeing as you can capture geopoints in repeats now, is there anyway I can set it that as soon as you select a repeat, it will automatically capture your XY location without having to open up the map and drop a pin?  When I have a geopoint question in my repeat, it is great because it saves it in the metadata, I just didn't want to have my users actually have to open up the map to drop a pin.  

0 Kudos