Best practices for multiple editors of the same form using Survey123 Connect?

Jump to solution
03-07-2017 08:21 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Has any one had the need or has come up with a solution for editing Survey 123 from multiple computers/locations using Connect.

I have two scenarios where this would be handy:

1. I telecommute 1 day a week and would love to be able to edit my survey normally stored on my work PC without the need to make a copy and edit on my laptop.

2. I am collaborating on some form designs with a coworker that works remotely.

Any insights on best practices here would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
17 Replies
deleted-user-Yl1wYLjfqwqw
New Contributor

Thanks for the response, James. And that's good info on 3.0--we hope to upgrade portal very soon.

But I'm not sure where to update the .iteminfo file. For forms that I've created myself, I see that file in my local directory ({User}\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs\{FormName}) but for the forms in question, there is no corresponding directory on my laptop.

I don't have access to the original source and so have taken ownership of the form and feature layer in the portal UI. If I download the form object, it unzips into several files, but none of these are .iteminfo. I feel like I'm missing a step?

Drew

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Drew,

This does work best if you have access to the original forms on the computer.  Once you log in to Survey123 Connect, you should the see the forms as being available to download.  If you download them, they probably won't appear unless you sign out as then they'll have the information that they were authored by the original author; you should then sign out to find and edit them before republishing.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-Yl1wYLjfqwqw
New Contributor

Thanks James. One final question. As I mentioned we're still on 10.3.1.

I'm working with a form which has been in use for some time and has thousands of responses. It appears that there is no way to make an update to the form without creating a new feature layer, meaning that subsequent submissions will be stored separately from previous ones. Is that correct? If not, how do I publish an updated form *without* creating a new feature service?

0 Kudos
CSR_GarinHirata
New Contributor II

James, 

Is it still necessary to change the .iteminfo files when transferring the Survey123 to another user?

0 Kudos
BenjaminSperry1
Occasional Contributor

Is it anticipated that this will change in the future?

Would it work to have others edit just the excel document? My forms have to be in several languages, can I send the Excel workbook to the translators and then just save the translated document into the survey123 folder and publish the updates to AGOL?

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Benjamin,

In the situation you describe, you would need to copy the translated columns in the form's 'master' XLS file and then save & publish to AGOL.

0 Kudos
IzzyMcLees
New Contributor II

I am aware this post has been marked as solved, but I would like to request an update as to whether any additonal functionality been added to Survey123 since this post that would allow for multiple people to edit a form at the same time or from separate machines - that does not involve changing the owner of the form?

DennisNaumann1
New Contributor

@JamesTedrick  - is there an update on this?

can we add owners/editors? (rather than change the owners)