Best practices for multiple editors of the same form using Survey123 Connect?

Jump to solution
03-07-2017 08:21 AM
BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Has any one had the need or has come up with a solution for editing Survey 123 from multiple computers/locations using Connect.

I have two scenarios where this would be handy:

1. I telecommute 1 day a week and would love to be able to edit my survey normally stored on my work PC without the need to make a copy and edit on my laptop.

2. I am collaborating on some form designs with a coworker that works remotely.

Any insights on best practices here would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly3
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Brent,

1. In My Content, browse to the folder that contains the survey you want to move.
  2. Select the Form and the Feature Layer.
  3. Choose 'Change Owner'.
  4. Select the person's name from the list.
  5. Click 'New Folder' and give it the same name as the folder that contains the Form and Feature Layer in your My Content
  6. Select the new folder and click 'Change Owner'

Now the other user will see this survey when they log into http://survey123.esri.com/#/

Carmel

View solution in original post

17 Replies
CarmelConnolly3

Hi Brent,

I work on surveys from different computers.

When I'm finished on one machine, and I'm happy for the changes to go to ArcGIS Online, I published them. When I'm on a different machine, I sign into my account through Survey123 Connect and download the updated survey from there.

If I'm not happy for the changes to go to Online, I take a copy of the survey folder from  C:\Users\<username>\ArcGIS\My Survey Designs, email it to myself, and then place the folder in the same location on my other machine.

I haven't collaborated on a survey with anyone, but I have been able to transfer a survey to someone else by creating a folder in their My Content with the same name as mine, and changing the ownership of the survey to them.

BrentKinal1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Carmel,  It's good to know that I am not the only one to have had to deal with this.  Thanks for sharing your approach. I will give it a shot. As for collaboration I think we'll probably just email it back and forth or use Dropbox.  One quick question, how do you change ownership of a survey?

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly3

Hi Brent,

1. In My Content, browse to the folder that contains the survey you want to move.
  2. Select the Form and the Feature Layer.
  3. Choose 'Change Owner'.
  4. Select the person's name from the list.
  5. Click 'New Folder' and give it the same name as the folder that contains the Form and Feature Layer in your My Content
  6. Select the new folder and click 'Change Owner'

Now the other user will see this survey when they log into http://survey123.esri.com/#/

Carmel

CandiceOoi
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a quick follow-up question regarding this issue. When you are changing the owner, are you duplicating the hosted feature layer and the form? It's funny how even though you have shared the feature layers within your organization, your colleagues will not be able to edit the Survey123 forms or any hosted feature layers created.

Say my colleagues need to edit the surveys when I am away, what is the best way for them to get access and edit the surveys and feature layers I created? The best way I can think of is to let them duplicate the form and upload it in their AGOL account to replace the older version that I created.

I would like to give my colleagues access to the Survey123 forms without switching the owner or duplicating it. Please let me know if there is a better way to solve this. Thank you very much! I truly appreciate everyone's input.

Candice

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Candice,

Apologies for the late reply.  Unfortunately ArcGIS Online currently does not allow the sharing of Survey123 form items for the purpose of being authored/edited by multiple people. Transferring ownership is the primary way to enable changing editors at this time.

CandiceOoi
New Contributor III

Hi James,

Thank you very much for confirming this!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi James,

I was wondering if a latest update of Survey 123 now allowed for design/editing of surveys my multiple people? Would there be a way to set this up through Group sharing within the Organisation?

Thank you for your help

Alix

deleted-user-Yl1wYLjfqwqw
New Contributor

Hi James

I am trying to make some minor updates to an existing Survey 123 form--i.e., adding values to a picklist. The form's creator is no longer on the team, so I have taken ownership of the form and the feature layer and moved them into an identically named directory. But after this, the form still doesn't show up in the "My Survey Designs" area of Survey 123 for ArcGIS. I've tried logging in/out of our portal.

We are using version 10.3.1 of Portal and 2.6.4 of Connect. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

Drew

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Drew,

In order for the form(s) to appear, you need to update a few settings in the form's .iteminfo files:

- the owner's username

- the id of the folder the form is in your account

Additionally, I'll note that the next release of Survey123 field app (3.0) will no longer support 10.3.1 portals; to accommodate that, we are releasing a 'Survey123 Classic' version of the application for legacy support.

0 Kudos