Best (Budget) Field Tablets for Offline Data Collection

11-13-2018 12:34 PM
KelliStephens
New Contributor

Hey there!

I am a current grad student looking for any advice on the best field tablets for offline data collection. Presently, I'm an android/PC person, so I fear I would get frustrated with an iPad, but who knows.

Accuracy can be within a meter or two, and conditions will be mostly sunny with periods of rain (South African summer). Also, I will be using a combination of Collector and Survey123 apps.

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We have been using these Highton tablets for 6 months now with no issues.  I am not promoting Amazon by any means.  The price jumped from 299$ to 368$  the charging cable that comes with is a standard USB mini with a bit longer reach mini plug length to get through the ruggedized case.  If you loose the original cable you can take normal length usb mini end of plug and trim away some of the plastic around the mini plug giving a longer reach.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DB8FAYS/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_6_w

DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Ran several hundred Samsung Tab As for years and they work great.  Only had 3 die in 3 years!  Was getting them for $169.  But they are rather slow now and I would no longer suggest them.

The best bang for the buck is probably the Samsung Active 2 now.  Fully ruggized from the start.  Writes in the rain even.  Not a bad price.

I do wish Samsung made a new budget line but not so far.

0 Kudos
KelliStephens
New Contributor

Thanks, Doug. I've been looking at the Samsung line and was wondering if anyone had used them. 

0 Kudos