'Background Image' does not appear in the web version of survey?

09-19-2019 12:50 PM
BryanShoaf1
New Contributor

I have created a survey using Survey 123 Connect on my desktop. Currently, under Settings-->Style-->Background Image, I have picked an image (wood grain) that successfully appears in the preview pane of the Survey 123 Connect interface. Once the survey is published, I can download and run the app on my phone and the background image displays properly within the survey. Upon opening the survey on my desktop computer in my web browser (Edge or Chrome), the 'Background Image' does not display. Once you start to scroll the survey page, a tiny portion of the background image will show at the very top of the survey. Any ideas? Does the image need to be a certain size? The current image being used for the 'Background Image' is 640 x 480 pixels @ 72 dpi.

As supporting information, I have published the survey several times with the following settings: default background color assigned in Survey 123 Connect, white, and I have tried a brown shade. Results in the web application respond to this setting; each time I changed the 'Background Color' setting and then published the survey, the web version of the survey displayed the selected color, but not the image.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bryan,

What is the size of the original image?  It looks like you have a relatively small background file that is being stretched in the phone app; the web form is displaying the image at it's real size.

0 Kudos
BryanShoaf1
New Contributor

Thanks for the response James. 4032 x 3024 pixels. I have tried differing sizes and changing images. App works, web does not.

Have you seen anyone successfully define the background image in the Survey 123 Connect environment, and then have it open with the image intact in the app and the web version? I am unable to accomplish this task with any image I have tried thus far. 

In the 'media' folder of my Survey 123 Connect project, the original image I upload is renamed and stored in this folder. I upload 'ABCD.jpg' in the media folder..... I see 'backgroundImage_ABCD.jpg' as being saved in the folder too. Could Survey 123 Connect somehow modified the background image upon publishing the survey? Maybe this action does not allow the image to display properly in the web environment?

Thanks,

Bryan 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Bryan,

Yes, I can successfully have a background image applied:

You may need to try clearing the cache of the browser - I'm seeing that a field download attempt can keep later ones in a failed state.

0 Kudos