Automatically compress photos and attachments when submitted to Survey123?

05-26-2023 10:19 AM
MeganMuellerRMW
New Contributor II

I have a survey that is used by community scientists, who need to upload photos, PDFs and excel files as part of the survey.  The photos and attachments are frequently larger than 10MB.  It's my understanding that ArcGIS online limits the size of attachments to feature layers to 10 MB, which limits the size of attachments that my volunteers can upload to my Survey123 form to 10MB.  

At the moment, we are asking volunteers to compress their files prior to uploading them, but this is a barrier for community scientists, some of whom are not particularly tech savvy.  I created the Survey in Survey123 Connect.  Is there a way to set up the XLS form so that photo and file attachments would automatically be compressed when they are submitted, so that volunteers don't have to compress photos and files using a separate program prior to submitting them?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoshuaSharp-Heward
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Megan,

In Survey123 Connect in the options settings you have the ability to limit the pixels of a captured photo like so

JoshuaSharpHeward_0-1685139793647.png

Although I'm not sure whether this only works for photos being captured within the form itself or if it also compresses images that are being attached but have been captured separately (i.e. in the camera app).

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can control this in the form now giving a size.

Like this in the paraeters column  max-pixels=4920

DougBrowning_0-1685982592351.png