Automatic geopoint update when opening an Inbox Survey

Jump to solution
01-12-2021 01:06 PM
LarryWiebe
Occasional Contributor

I there a way to trigger a geopoint location to be collected when opening a survey from the Inbox?  This would be similar to how a geopoint gets collected on a new survey.  

I have a case where I need to know where the Inbox survey was filled out.  The Inbox is prepopulated with a location where the feature to survey is located, to help navigate to the location, but I also need to verify the survey was completed near the location.

Thanks,

Larry

Tags (3)
5 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @LarryWiebe,

Yes, this should be possible if you use a second geopoint question your form, which does not get populated on original collection, and when open via Inbox it does.

To achieve this you can make the second geopoint question have a fieldType of null, so that it is not stored as the geometry, but you can pull the lat/long into text fields for record keeping. And then make the second geopoint relevant based on edit mode. The edit mode can be determined use a new pulldata poperty introduced in 3.11 release:

pulldata("@property", 'status') = 'inbox'

Please refer to documentation here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformformulas.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_A3C2F35...

If you make the relevance of that second geopoint question based on the mode of Inbox, when it open it will become relevant and automatically get a location, and then you can pull the lat/long into additional text fields.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

LarryWiebe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

I tried this out, but can't get the second geopoint to automatically populate.  I must hit the GPS target to acquire the location on the second geopoint...

I have attached my XLSX for your review.

Thanks, Larry  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @LarryWiebe,

I did some testing with your xlsx survey example above, good news is the pulldata property for the edit mode to make your questions relevant on Inbox load is working.

Bad news is that there is an existing issue that prevents geopoint questions automatically loading the current GPS location when the question becomes relevant. This issue occurs when using relevant statements in a form on geopoint questions, regadless of using Inbox or not, or creating new or editing surveys.

The issue number is BUG-000127130 if you would like to track the status of it.

Unfortunately I can not think of any other way you can automatically get the location of that second geopoint to load when the form loads without user interaction. I tried a few different things (groups, repeats, calculations etc) and in all cases I still needed to select the GPS button to get current location to work when I opened it from the Inbox.

Regards,

Phil.

HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User and @LarryWiebe,

I was wondering if there are any news on BUG-000127130 (or if you heard of smart ways to go around it).

I am also trying to overwrite the inbox geopoint location (i.e. the actual geometry) without success.

My use case is strictly about creating new surveys from the inbox (create a new survey by reusing an existing one).

- At geopoint creation time, the calculated coordinates work well for point creation (=> they are well formatted).
- At geopoint update time in the 'new' survey, the geopoint question does not replace the coordinates: the original geometry remains.

If my form used a map, instead of calculated coordinates, users would be able to edit the existing point (drag around, or delete and create new) ... so Survey123 seems to be able to overwrite the geometry in some cases.

- However, if I do expose the map in the form, the update isn't effective either : users must push the update button, then the geopoint responds to changes in calculated coordinates.

- Having parametered with 'calculateMode=always' is not helping, the first update ni calculated coordinate is not resulting in a geopoint update.

- Using of second (null) geopoint field, based on the property 'status' is not helpini either: status is null when you create a new survey from the inbox.

This is observed using S123Connect 3.13.251 and Survey123 Fiel App (on PC) 3.14.255.

A simplified example form is attached.

Many thanks for any help!

With kind regards,

Hélène.

P.S:
My use case is a form without any exposed map. The point location is derived from selected values in a select one field.

The form is long and tiedous (per work order ^^), and people will default to creating new surveys from existing surveys from the inbox.

The issue appears here: because the geopoint geometry is not overriden by the newly selected location, my output map has a few piles of many points each 😞

HayleighFisher
New Contributor III

Hi, 

I am having the same issue where the refresh button is required otherwise the GPS fields do not populate. @Anonymous User is there a solution for this?

Thanks,

Hayleigh 

7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @LarryWiebe,

Yes, this should be possible if you use a second geopoint question your form, which does not get populated on original collection, and when open via Inbox it does.

To achieve this you can make the second geopoint question have a fieldType of null, so that it is not stored as the geometry, but you can pull the lat/long into text fields for record keeping. And then make the second geopoint relevant based on edit mode. The edit mode can be determined use a new pulldata poperty introduced in 3.11 release:

pulldata("@property", 'status') = 'inbox'

Please refer to documentation here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/xlsformformulas.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_A3C2F35...

If you make the relevance of that second geopoint question based on the mode of Inbox, when it open it will become relevant and automatically get a location, and then you can pull the lat/long into additional text fields.

Regards,

Phil.

LarryWiebe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Phil,

I tried this out, but can't get the second geopoint to automatically populate.  I must hit the GPS target to acquire the location on the second geopoint...

I have attached my XLSX for your review.

Thanks, Larry  

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @LarryWiebe,

I did some testing with your xlsx survey example above, good news is the pulldata property for the edit mode to make your questions relevant on Inbox load is working.

Bad news is that there is an existing issue that prevents geopoint questions automatically loading the current GPS location when the question becomes relevant. This issue occurs when using relevant statements in a form on geopoint questions, regadless of using Inbox or not, or creating new or editing surveys.

The issue number is BUG-000127130 if you would like to track the status of it.

Unfortunately I can not think of any other way you can automatically get the location of that second geopoint to load when the form loads without user interaction. I tried a few different things (groups, repeats, calculations etc) and in all cases I still needed to select the GPS button to get current location to work when I opened it from the Inbox.

Regards,

Phil.

LarryWiebe
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for you help Phil, for now users will need to trigger the new (null) geopoint manually.  I am storing the lat/lon in attributes as you suggested, thanks Again!

Larry

HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Hi @Anonymous User and @LarryWiebe,

I was wondering if there are any news on BUG-000127130 (or if you heard of smart ways to go around it).

I am also trying to overwrite the inbox geopoint location (i.e. the actual geometry) without success.

My use case is strictly about creating new surveys from the inbox (create a new survey by reusing an existing one).

- At geopoint creation time, the calculated coordinates work well for point creation (=> they are well formatted).
- At geopoint update time in the 'new' survey, the geopoint question does not replace the coordinates: the original geometry remains.

If my form used a map, instead of calculated coordinates, users would be able to edit the existing point (drag around, or delete and create new) ... so Survey123 seems to be able to overwrite the geometry in some cases.

- However, if I do expose the map in the form, the update isn't effective either : users must push the update button, then the geopoint responds to changes in calculated coordinates.

- Having parametered with 'calculateMode=always' is not helping, the first update ni calculated coordinate is not resulting in a geopoint update.

- Using of second (null) geopoint field, based on the property 'status' is not helpini either: status is null when you create a new survey from the inbox.

This is observed using S123Connect 3.13.251 and Survey123 Fiel App (on PC) 3.14.255.

A simplified example form is attached.

Many thanks for any help!

With kind regards,

Hélène.

P.S:
My use case is a form without any exposed map. The point location is derived from selected values in a select one field.

The form is long and tiedous (per work order ^^), and people will default to creating new surveys from existing surveys from the inbox.

The issue appears here: because the geopoint geometry is not overriden by the newly selected location, my output map has a few piles of many points each 😞

HayleighFisher
New Contributor III

Hi, 

I am having the same issue where the refresh button is required otherwise the GPS fields do not populate. @Anonymous User is there a solution for this?

Thanks,

Hayleigh 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @HayleighFisher,

Are the geopoints you are trying to update inside a repeat or using relevance?

Can you share your XLSForm (.xlsx file)?

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos