Automated answering based on previous responses

Jump to solution
01-24-2022 07:27 PM
GISCQG
by
New Contributor III

Hi guys,

I am wanting to create a survey for fauna spotter catcher work and am wondering if it is possible to create questions in a survey that can be linked to automatically fill when the first question is answered? So we want field staff to be able to choose the common name of an animal from a list, which could be linked to automatically fill the scientific name, EPBC Act status and NCA Act status. is this possible?

Thanks,

Bridget

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Bridget

I do the very same thing using the pulldata function.  A user selects the common name and the Genus, Species and NSXCode are retrieved from the csv.

The pulldata function in the calculation column (of the field you wish to populate) is like this.:

pulldata('flora', 'common_name', 'Scientific', ${commonnameflora}),"")

flora - the name of the csv file in the media folder

common_name - the common_name Name field in the table

Scientific - the Scientific Name field in the table

${commonnameflora} - the name of the field in Survey123 where the common name is selected.

I am happy to share more snippets of the xlsform if you needed.  Just DM me.

Cheers

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ChrisRoberts2

Hi Bridget

I do the very same thing using the pulldata function.  A user selects the common name and the Genus, Species and NSXCode are retrieved from the csv.

The pulldata function in the calculation column (of the field you wish to populate) is like this.:

pulldata('flora', 'common_name', 'Scientific', ${commonnameflora}),"")

flora - the name of the csv file in the media folder

common_name - the common_name Name field in the table

Scientific - the Scientific Name field in the table

${commonnameflora} - the name of the field in Survey123 where the common name is selected.

I am happy to share more snippets of the xlsform if you needed.  Just DM me.

Cheers

Chris

GISCQG
by
New Contributor III

Thanks so much Chris! I will give this a go - I think setting up the external xls form is what has me a bit stumped. I will give you a holler if I get stuck!

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This may help  https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/use-existing-data-in-your-survey-the-pulldata/ba...

For us we store just the code then we store all of our species data in another lookup table.  That way if a code ever changes or we want to remap it we can.  We have all kinds of other info in there (for us it is plants so growth habit, etc)  We often find mistakes and can change it in one place.  Plus diff states have diff growth habit or invasive status.

0 Kudos
ChrisRoberts2

sorry drop the ,"") from the end ... copy and paste error from a larger calc 🙂

0 Kudos