Auto Populate Addresses Within a Boundary

02-24-2021 12:35 PM
MayraHernandez
New Contributor III

I created a survey for code enforcement were users can report a possible code violation.

We would like for the end user to type a few characters of the beginning part of the address and choices will appear and they will choose the appropriate address. The addresses have to be within the Corona city boundary. If the address is not within the city boundary  the user will not be allowed to move forward with the survey or be able to submit it.

These are the calculations I have included in the survey form:

Label: Location / Address of Possible Code Violation Calculation: pulldata("@geopoint",${location},"reversegeocode.address.LongLabel")

Label: Is this address within the City of Corona? Calculation: if(contains(${_text},'Corona'), 'Yes', 'No')

I tried the calculations above but some addresses that are outside the city of corona city limits that have Corona in their address are answered with Yes, this address is within the City of Corona. 

Is there a way to auto populate addresses that are within a city boundary only?

Can we restrict users from being able to submit the survey if the address is not within the city boundary?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I don't create surveys, but can you create a geocoding locator that only pertains to your City using parcels and/or address points and/or street centerlines?  I live in an area where street addresses are unique; if your area has addresses that are repeated in other jurisdictions it gets a little sticky.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MayraHernandez
New Contributor III

Thank you JoeBorgione, I will create a gecoding locator specific to our city. 

0 Kudos
KerryKang
Occasional Contributor III

Can you pull out city name only from reverse geocoding before getting full address, and set up and check if the city name is Corona or not. If it's not Corona, you can stop users submitting the survey by this way.

- Put error messages as a note and make it required such as 'it looks like your location is outside of Corona....'

- The error message from note is triggered when the city is not Corona.

- Users need to 'answer' this question(note) because it is 'required' but they cannot do anything to add answers because it's note.

- This prevents users from submitting the survey.

Kerry

0 Kudos
JenAmes
New Contributor III

Hey any chance you figured this out? I have a similar issue where people apply for a library card, but outside of our municipality they have to pay an annual fee for the card, so I was trying to figure out if there's some way to have at least a constraint message outside of the municipal boundary warning them.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not sure if this helps, but recently I created two locators both multi-role with Address Points and Street Centerlines. One has features within our areas of jurisdiction and the other with features outside our areas of jurisdiction.  I then created a composite of them.

The idea is to publish this as a service that another piece of software (City Works) can consume.  If the address resolves on the first (within our area of jurisdiction) the work flow continues.  If the address resolves outside our area jurisdiction, the user gets an email  explaining who to contact within their respective jurisdiction.  

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos