Approving incoming data

08-12-2020 11:33 AM
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi all, 

I'm very new to Survey123 but have searched the forums before posting, so would be grateful for any help!

I've got a Survey form set up, integrated with a web map, and I'm following a workflow so that I can get a user to click on a point on the map and follow a hyperlink to edit the data using a Survey123 form.  So far so good. 

What I'm struggling to do is set up a way of approving incoming data.  The data will be editable by the general public, so I'm trying to find a way of making edited data 'pending' until it has been approved for publication.

Are there any mechanisms for doing this?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Helen

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Helen Cooper‌, 

Just to confirm your workflow your want the folks taking the survey to edit existing records correct? 

Once a record is edited what is the ideal next step in the web map, the existing feature disappears until approved, or the feature on the web map displays the old information until approved and then the updated information will be visible? 

Are you using hosted feature services in ArcGIS Online, or a registered service from an Enterprise Geodatabase in ArcGIS Enterprise? 

Thank you, 

Zach 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
HelenCooper

Hi Zach,

Many thanks for your reply.
That’s correct, I want people responding to be able to edit existing records.  Once edited, I’d like the feature to remain on the map showing the old data associated with it until it has been approved.
I’m using a hosted feature service in AGOL.
I’ve been looking at this further, and I’m wondering if I’d need to use a duplicate set of fields to hold the edited values, until they’re approved (and when they’re approved copy the values from the duplicated fields back into the original fields?). This seems a bit clunky though? 
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Helen 
0 Kudos
HelenCooper

Just in case anyone else is searching for the same question, I managed to resolve the issue using the ESRI training video here: https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/5ea8a26823e3e30f8d209879/advanced-xlsform-techniques/#! 

Thanks James Tedrick‌!

0 Kudos
BKSchwarz
New Contributor II

Hi @HelenCooper ,

You read that correctly.  I too am searching for a solution to this.  Unfortunately the link above is broken and I do not see an ESRI training video with similar name.

Can you expand on your solution and/or provide me a link to the video you mention?

Brian

0 Kudos