Allowing public edits while disabling public view permissions with Survey123

11-16-2018 06:45 AM
MattRapke
New Contributor II

I am trying to make a survey with the following characteristics:

• It will be accessible to the public so anyone can add features
  • The owner/admin can delete features so that bad responses can be scrapped
  • The data can't be viewed by the public

The problem I am having is that when I use Survey123 Connect, the program creates 1 hosted feature layer that the submissions are written to, and 1 stakeholder view layer that the submissions can be viewed from (after changes the settings in "Collaborate"). Using the Collaborate tool, if I set the submission properties to "everyone", and if I set the viewer properties to "organization" or "groups", then the submission layer can still be viewed by anyone with ArcGIS Online, and they can make edits to all of the data. I can fix this by using AGO to limit the editing permissions on the feature layer to "add features only" and "can't see any features, even the ones they add", but then my admin account is unable to view and edit the data as well.

I created a survey using the web application and it allows me to get around these problems because it creates the fieldworker view. I can give full editing permissions to the feature layer while keeping the layer private, and then set "add features only" and "can't see any features" on the fieldworker view. This allows the public to edit through the view without seeing anything they add, and then I am able to see and edit everything on the underlying private feature layer. The problem with using the web platform for creating my survey is that I need the coded value functionality of Survey123 Connect. I have a bunch of "Single Choice" fields in my survey, and when I use the web designer the data values are recorded as "choice1", "choice2", etc. This can only be addressed using Connect from what I have read. 

Is it possible to create the equivalent of the fieldworker view using Connect?

Is it possible to set coded values using the web tool?

Is there some other solution that I'm missing?

7 Replies
tomhughson
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathon, my situation is similar (form created in Connect) and wanting to create a fieldworker view. But I am not administrator of my organisational account. So I had the account administrator publish the survey form only in ArcGIS online as below,

but when I open the survey in survey123.arcgis.com, because I am not the Administrator of the account, I don't have the public sharing options under the Collaborate view. Is there another way to create the fieldworker view from a survey created in Connect? Thanks, Tom 

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom

Apologies for any confusion.

When creating a survey from Connect, the field worker view is not created. Even if you share the survey in the website using the collaborate tab, the fieldworker view will not be created. This is a limitation.

Please could you share your requirement for the field worker view? The issue above regarding the naming of choice lists has been resolved, as you are now able to modify the feature service schema in the website (when creating surveys there).

Thanks

John

tomhughson
New Contributor III

Thanks, yes I wasn't aware of that limitation. I'm trying to share the survey form publicly without making the associated hosted feature layer publicly available (but the survey was published from Connect so I can't seem to find a way of achieving that). Seems like that is an acknowledged limitation of using Connect but I need the extra functionality (cascading selects and some calculated fields) so that leaves me a bit stuck. Tom

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi,

you could try the following:

1. Publish survey from Connect. This will create a feature layer  with query and add/update privileges enabled by default.
  2. Create a hosted feature layer view with Add only capabilities (disable queries)
  3. Change  the submission_url setting in your XLSForm to make sure your survey uses the view, instead of the feature layer
  4. Publish to make the changes effective and share the survey.  Make sure you DO NOT share the original feature service so people cannot query it
tomhughson
New Contributor III

Thanks very much, that procedure worked

0 Kudos
JohnBrosowsky1
New Contributor II

I see how to create a hosted feature layer view from the original survey feature layer, but how do you make the hosted feature layer view have "Add only capabilities (disable queries)"?

Thanks!

JB

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi John,

Refer to Manage hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation , particularly the 'What can editors see?' setting.

0 Kudos