All-around failure of Survey123

Jump to solution
09-21-2021 01:50 AM
RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Since yesterday, we have been experience various issues with Survey123, simultaneously. I'm aware that these are several issues and they might be unrelated. However, because I have found these behaviour happening all at once, I thought I'd report it under the same post. Any help will be much appreciated.

• Firstly, when accessing My Surveys on Survey123.arcgis.com, some of the surveys come up with the error message "the survey does not exist or is not accessible" (see Photo2). This is happening to all the users in the organisation, and for the same type of surveys (to which all of us should have access to). We have many surveys, but they're based on one of a few templates we have created, based on the nature of the work. Some templates keep working, some don't.
  • Then, one of the survey forms (and all copies based on this template) that is not showing details on browser, has also started to behave weirdly on Survey123 Connect and on the Survey123 apps. It's a multi-page grid survey type, and some of the questions have been compressed into a very small space where reading and typing is not possible (see Photo1). This shouldn't be a design flow, as it has been working for months until just yesterday.
  • Lastly, a colleague of mine has reported that on Survey123 Connect, some of the thumbnails and actual surveys forms have been mixed up.

Additionally, I have got reports from an app users claiming that field types behave differently in the same form, between one record and the next. For example, predictive text fields that stop working as predictive text, or minimal-autocomplete, select one type questions that come up empty with no options to choose from. Again, this happens in different records under the same form.

We have had strange issues with AGOL and Survey123 before, but they always were resolved overnight and came back the next day to see everything working as usual. But, because this doesn't seem to be the case, I'm afraid there might be some action required on our end, but I'm clueless on how to go about this.

Thank you,

Rafa

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @RafaeldePedro @Mondi_GIS ,

The fix is already on production website. Your surveys with audio question should be loaded as expected on website and web app. 

Thanks,

Ruth

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Mondi_GIS
Occasional Contributor

Looks like a widespread issue. We suspect the September updates to Survey123 have something to do with this (feedback from our local ESRI support as well).

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RafaeldePedro,

Thanks for reporting the above issues. As for the first issue, I beleive there are some known issues with the website that are currently being looked into, we hope to get these resolved asap.

As for the second issue with using pages, grid-theme and repeats, I believe this is related to a fix that was included in 3.13 for repeats being used inside grid theme groups. This has been reported here: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/repeat-appearance-not-working/m-p/1099763#M...

Previously repeats ignored the w appearance value set by the parent and they always occupied the entire row. This was fixed in 3.13, however depending on how your form is configured, this can cause the repeat to now only occupy one column of the grid layout. The repeat needs to be inside a group with the correct w appearance set to take up the correct amount of columns. Can you share your XLSForm (xlsx file and files from media folder), so we can take a closer look?

As for the thumbnail issue, this is not something we have seen or heard of before, do you have an example, screenshot or recording to show the behaviour? Also can you expand on what device this occured (make/model/OS version)? Did it only happen on one device or many?

With the last comment you made about "users claiming that field types behave differently" we would need for specific details and a copy of the XLSForm to look into this further, any screenshots, recordings and exact details of which questions are different, woudl be helpful?

Regards,

Phil.

RafaeldePedro
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Anonymous User , regarding the second issue on grid-theme views, I did manage to isolate the issue, and it's only appearing on those questions that are part of a nested group. In this case, there is a 'begin_group' question with appearance 'field-list w8' to define a new page and a new group. Within this group, I created another group with type 'begin group' and appearance 'w8', and 4 questions inside with appearance 'w4'.

It is this nested questions that are behaving odd and not displaying in their intended width. This was not an issue before, it's just started to happen now. 

Regarding sharing our files here, what is the recommended way of doing this, if I wouldn't want people outside of ESRI staff to have access to this? (this also applies to the answer by @JamesTedrick on sharing my form design).

Thank you,

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RafaeldePedro ,

Following up on Phil's post, is there an example of the web form failure that is publicly accessible?  If not, are you able to share the design?

Also, have you opened an Esri Support incident to troubleshoot this further?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @RafaeldePedro ,

Please feel free to send it to jtedrick AT esri.com .  If possible, can you forward the entire form folder as a zip file?  That would provide us the file directly used by the webform (the .webform file).

0 Kudos
Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @RafaeldePedro @Mondi_GIS 

The fix for survey with audio question cannot be loaded is now available for testing on BETA website: https://survey123beta.arcgis.com/.

Please help us verify the fix. If the fix pass the test, the hotfix build will be available early next week.

Thanks,

Ruth

Ruth_JiatengXu
Esri Contributor

Hi @RafaeldePedro @Mondi_GIS ,

The fix is already on production website. Your surveys with audio question should be loaded as expected on website and web app. 

Thanks,

Ruth