Adding Images/Attachments to Survey in INBOX

Jump to solution
03-08-2018 11:30 AM
CoryLyle
New Contributor

Anyone have experience with adding photos to an existing survey through the Inbox? Or potential workaround?  We have office technicians that will be adding points to our feature layer (in portal), the field crew/inspectors will then navigate to these points, open the survey through the Inbox, and complete the survey including taking photos of the location.  

We would like the photos to be accessible through the web map in portal, which is why we chose to use multiple image questions instead of using repeats.  I read that you could possibly edit the source code for Survey123 through AppStudio, unfortunately I am not that familiar with coding and couldn't find any documentation.

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations!

Already read through the 2.4 "talk like a pirate release" blog post and saw this...but wanted to see if the community had anything new.

"As of this release, the Inbox lacks support for downloading attachments. That is, you can use the Inbox against a survey that includes attachments, but  the Inbox will not populate  signatures, annotated images, audio or image questions.  All these types of questions will appear empty, as if they had no data. As for the rest of questions, you will be able to download  data for them and update  them as well.

Also, to play on the safe side, when you edit surveys from your Inbox we will disable editing on these types of questions. This means that if you open a survey from your Inbox  to make edits to it, all questions of type image (photos, signature, annotate, draw) as well as audio questions will appear not only empty, but also disabled. This is to avoid people from accidentally attempting to change data  in them."

55 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Patrick, sorry to bug, but did this really work out for you.  I'm having the same issue, where we need to field verify/augment field assets and take an image to verify the information.  I have the survey completely set up with the exception of getting the automated images to be accessible via a downloaded data set via 'inbox'.  I have added the verification you mentioned but not receiving any accessibility to the images.  

Would be interested in hearing from Steve, James, Phillip or anyone else in the thread who was working to resolve this issue.  

Best,

Steve

0 Kudos
PatrickCrushell
New Contributor III

Hi Steve, maybe not clear from my workflow didn’t involve downloading previously submitted images.. I was having trouble adding more than 1 image in a repeat... hope you got sorted.

0 Kudos
MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Guys,

Can you please provide an update on viewing (not editing) existing images in repeats?

We have an asset inspection workflow where the user goes back to the same asset and adds a new repeat with a new photo and they want to see the old photos first.  This way they can visually see any changes since the last inspection.  Not having attachments in the inbox kills this.

Cheers,

Marc

MarcGraham2
Occasional Contributor III

oh also... if the image is required then you can't add a new record!  because the survey cannot download the old image you cannot progress to add a new record in the repeat!  so there is no way to make an image required in a repeat AND use the inbox to add new repeat records. 😞

KaraO_Neill1
New Contributor III

The inbox is a great feature. I have people digitizing drainage networks using Pro in concurrence with field guys investigating the same structures. It's great they are getting realtime updates to the feature services, but we can't add photos and have to collect a new point with the photos. There over 1300 investigations and it's frustrating that a unilateral decision was made to disable that feature. 

We need photos!! Aren't we the data managers? Shouldn't we decide if we run the risk of deleted attachments? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is a work around.  You can add a related table with embedded relationship class and publish that, then you are adding a "new" record in the related table which allows you to add the photo.  I only added the id, related id and enabled attachments on the related table.  Not ideal, but works.  I talked to ESRI, I think it's on their to do list.  

KaraO_Neill1
New Contributor III

I will give this a try! Thanks. Might be better than nothing

0 Kudos
AndrewSmith21
New Contributor

Hello Steven,

Which feature do attach the relate table to?

0 Kudos
AdamBakiera
Occasional Contributor

Good morning,

Is there a timeline for when this might be supported? I was excited to use Survey123 for a project after it started supporting drawing of polygons, but there is a high chance that the end user will need to edit existing entries and add photos. In the past, this project was challenging to implement using Collector because of off-line mapping. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AdamBakiera,

The enhancement to support editing attachments and adding additional attachments while edit existing surveys is high on our priority list, one of the most requested. We are already doing initial work on this feature, and are aiming to have this feature available by the end of 2021. Keep an eye out in the Early Adopter Community for when updates are made the feature is available for beta testing.

Regards,

Phil.