Adding a related table to an existing survey

Jump to solution
06-14-2021 07:27 AM
Merlin
by
New Contributor III

Hi all,

I am trying to expand an existing survey by adding a repeat, which should add a related table to the feature layer. I can easily add the repeat in survey123 connect and hit the publish button only to become notifyed that I would lose all my current data, but the survey's current hosted feature layer data and service ID should not be altered.

So far I followed this guide: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000023485 which brought me to the insight, that I can create a NEW feature layer with all my data, but I would need to keep my service ID (unless I did / understood sth. in the wrong way?). So this seems to be no option.

I have also read through this lengthy post: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/adding-related-table-to-arcgis-online-feature-... but I am not even sure I understood everything discussed there. Seems to me that manipulation of the JSON file might work out. Is this the only way forward?

All the best,
Merlin

---
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Merlin,

Yes you are correct, following those links and articles is the best way forward. Adding a repeat (releated layer) to a survey with an existing feature service modifies the schema of the feature service due to the relationships that need to be created, and therefore may cause the feature service to be re-created and any existing data to be lost. Please proceed with caution if you are trying to do this with with a production survey using production data.

The best way is to add the related layer as outlined in the support article, not via Survey123 Connect, and then once it is added successfully, you can add the repeat to the survey in Connect to match the related layer. Once again, ensure you back up your data and proceed with caution on production surveys and data.

Regards,

Phil.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Merlin,

Yes you are correct, following those links and articles is the best way forward. Adding a repeat (releated layer) to a survey with an existing feature service modifies the schema of the feature service due to the relationships that need to be created, and therefore may cause the feature service to be re-created and any existing data to be lost. Please proceed with caution if you are trying to do this with with a production survey using production data.

The best way is to add the related layer as outlined in the support article, not via Survey123 Connect, and then once it is added successfully, you can add the repeat to the survey in Connect to match the related layer. Once again, ensure you back up your data and proceed with caution on production surveys and data.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
Merlin
by
New Contributor III

Thanks for the clarification @Anonymous User . If I ever find the time to try this out, I might come back to this threat with more questions ...

---