3.14 - Fields with calculated relevancies are clearing in the inbox

Jump to solution
03-23-2022 10:39 AM
AdriannaBarton
New Contributor III

With the 3.14 survey123 update, an issue was created in a few of our forms. We have fields with pulldata() calculations that are used as relevancies for other groups. These groups will completely clear out within the inbox. The pulldata() fields still calculate and have data within the inbox, so I am not sure why it is clearing. I have tried to hide the original field within the repeat and add a note to display the data but it fully clears out. I do have the bind::esri:parameters field set to query allowUpdates=true. Any solutions would be great! This is creating quite the issue in our QAQC process. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AdriannaBarton,

I've been assisting with taking a look at your form and it looks like there were three issues that are occurring in your survey.

1. Repeat values clear out in inbox forms for the 'page 2' repeat (line 16).

• I was initially able to reproduce the behavior you were seeing, but once I added 'query allowUpdates=true' to the repeat, I was able to see the values in the inbox as expected. You mentioned that you had already added 'query allowUpdates=true' to the repeat, but I didn't see it in the XLSForm you sent. Is this what you are seeing too?

2. Previously entered select_one value not visible in inbox even though value is present in feature service (line 65).

• This looks like a bug for select_one_from_file and select_one questions that have integers instead of strings for the label. I will create an internal bug issue for this. In the meantime, one potential workaround is to apply a minimal appearance to the select_one_from_file question.

3. The survey's inbox query is based on a field that can have two values: null or 'F'. The survey is no longer submitting null values, so the inbox query isn't working correctly (line 76 and 77).

• We've implemented a fix that should resolve this. It will be included in the next beta build of Survey123, which will be made available in the Early Adopter Community either tonight or tomorrow. Would you be able to test your survey on the beta build of the app once it becomes available so we can verify that it addresses the issue you're seeing?

Thanks,
-Barbara

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @AdriannaBarton,

We are looking into this issue, we have received your XLSForm via private message, so once we investigate further will get back to you. 

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AdriannaBarton,

I've been assisting with taking a look at your form and it looks like there were three issues that are occurring in your survey.

1. Repeat values clear out in inbox forms for the 'page 2' repeat (line 16).

• I was initially able to reproduce the behavior you were seeing, but once I added 'query allowUpdates=true' to the repeat, I was able to see the values in the inbox as expected. You mentioned that you had already added 'query allowUpdates=true' to the repeat, but I didn't see it in the XLSForm you sent. Is this what you are seeing too?

2. Previously entered select_one value not visible in inbox even though value is present in feature service (line 65).

• This looks like a bug for select_one_from_file and select_one questions that have integers instead of strings for the label. I will create an internal bug issue for this. In the meantime, one potential workaround is to apply a minimal appearance to the select_one_from_file question.

3. The survey's inbox query is based on a field that can have two values: null or 'F'. The survey is no longer submitting null values, so the inbox query isn't working correctly (line 76 and 77).

• We've implemented a fix that should resolve this. It will be included in the next beta build of Survey123, which will be made available in the Early Adopter Community either tonight or tomorrow. Would you be able to test your survey on the beta build of the app once it becomes available so we can verify that it addresses the issue you're seeing?

Thanks,
-Barbara

0 Kudos
AdriannaBarton
New Contributor III

Hi @BarbaraWebster1 , thank you so much for looking at my form!! I really appreciate it.

1. I was able to get this working. In my actual form I built this form based off of, I did have the query in there. It was still not pulling in the data, but I moved my relevancies from the relevant column into the body::esri:visible column and that solved the issue! What exactly changed with the relevancies with the 3.14 update? I haven't seen any documentation on that and it disrupted quite a few of our live surveys. 

2. This fix did work for the integer values! However I have other forms with string values that this still is not working, I think it is related to the choice filter. We're experiencing a new issue where more than 2 choice filters on a field is causing it to clear out. I can send another example form with this & more detail.

3. Okay this makes sense, thank you for explaining that! We have that sort of if statement in all of out forms and we started putting a space instead of a null at the end. I will certainly test my survey when that is released.

Thanks again!

Adrianna

BarbaraWebster1
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @AdriannaBarton,

Glad you got the relevancies working! In the 3.14 February release we have been seeing an issue in some situations with a relevant column that has an expression that also references a previous question value. We’re still looking into the root cause of that issue, but the two workarounds that have been identified are the one you mentioned (using the body::esri:visible column instead of the relevant column) or calculating the ‘relevant’ expression in a separate field and then entering only that question name into the relevant column. 

Yes, if you could send the XLSForm for the other issues you’re seeing that would be great so we can look into it more.

Thanks,
-Barbara

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you SO much for the tip about moving the relevant expressions to the body::esri:visible column! I was experiencing the same issue and it was driving me crazy!!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek