Select multiple photos to upload to Survey123

11-16-2020 03:57 PM
Labels (1)
DebsGray
New Contributor III

I know that there have been recent developments in uploading multiple photos to survey123. However, I was wondering if it would be possible to be able to select multiple photos when you click on the folder icon. At the moment, you can only select one photo after clicking the folder icon, then you click the plus icon and select an additional photo and so on.

It would save field workers time if they could select multiple photos rather than doing it one by one.

11 Comments
by Anonymous User

Hi DebsGray,

Currently selecting multiple images in one selection for an image question with the file browser is not supported, this is due to an underlying limitation in the file picker currently in use. We have an internal issue in our backlog to upgrade the file picker to allow for multiple images in one selection.

The new file question type currently supports selecting multiple images and files in one selection, so you could use a file question type, instead of image, if you do not need to use the in-built camera, and only want to select from the file browser each time.

Regards,

Phil.

DebsGray

Hi Phil

Thanks for your response. This workaround is really helpful, thank you! 😃

Thanks

Debs

DebsGray

Hi @Anonymous User 

I have just tried to add a file question type to my survey, however, on the survey123 app the image selection looks the same as the image question type and I can't select multiple images at the same time. Not sure what I've done wrong?

Thanks

Debs

by Anonymous User

Hi Debs,

What sort of device are you using, the make/model/OS version?

If you are using iOS there are some limitations if using the photos image gallery as it only lets you select one image at a time, but if using the files app option, you can select multiple. On all other OS (Windows/Android/macOS) you can select multiple with both image and file question types.

Phil.

DebsGray

@Anonymous User 

I'm using iOS. Ah, I can see that I can select multiple files through the file option. Is there a way to get to the photo gallery through the file option? If not, then I'm back to square one and can't select multiple images at this time (using an iphone)?

by Anonymous User

Hi Debs,

Unfortunately not. iOS does not allow access to the Photos gallery from the Files app. You can see the same behaviour if you use the inbuilt native Files app on iOS, you can not access images in your Photos gallery app. 

Regards,

Phil.

Ramon_de_Leon

Hi Philip,

@Anonymous User 

Is the select multiple photos going to be supported soon?

We have a survey that is both being used in the Survey123 app and web.

When people are using the web survey, they cannot attach multiple pictures (on the XLS form, we did a multiline appearance for the image question as users liked it compared to having multiple image questions).

I've read that a possible workaround is to use "file" rather than "image" as question type and republish, but if I understood correctly this would deactivate the use of cameras on the devices (so would be problematic as they also need to take photos on the field)?

It maybe good to have something similar to "method=camera,browse" option on the "body::esri:style" on file questions for future release?

Thank you.

by Anonymous User

Hi @Ramon_de_Leon,

With regards to you comment above and selecting multiple photos, are you referring to the field app or web app, and on what OS version?

Regards,

Phil.

StormwaterAdmin

Hi Phil,

Do you know if either the option to select multiple photos using the photo icon has been added yet? Or if the option to navigate to the photos gallery using the file option? 

I built the survey using Survey123 Connect and submit surveys using the Survey123 mobile app. iOS version 12.5.7.

It would save our field workers a lot of time if there was an option to select multiple photos from the gallery rather than having to add them individually.

Thanks!

Vidushi_Patel

Hi @StormwaterAdmin 

Selecting multiple photos from the photo gallery for bulk import into a multiline Image type question is not currently supported in Survey123 (BUG-000149488). 

Provide the functionality for selecting multiple images within single upload to Survey123 is currently an enhancement under review (ENH-000161263). 

As a workaround, adding a File type question using multiline appearance allows for selecting and uploading multiple photos from both Android and iOS (tested on iOS 16.6).

Regards,

Vidushi