Select to view content in your preferred language

Improve 'update' experience

06-07-2024 09:04 AM
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Updating surveys in the field app has several issues:

1. It's hard for users to see (I know this one sounds odd, but I work with a LOT of users, and the number of people that cant see the banner is surprisingly high).
  2. It's slow. At best, you are making two clicks to do one thing. At worst, many more (related to #3, most users don't see the "update all" option at the bottom of the page)
  3. It's unintuitive. Again, I have see so many people turn into deer in headlights when I tell them to "update surveys". Also, telling users to "click anywhere and drag down to check for updates" is super confusing for the end user.

Here is the current version:

abureaux_1-1717775360131.png

Here are some proposed changes:

abureaux_2-1717776022348.png

My incredible MS Paint skills aside, this visually shows users that updates are complete and lets them check for updates manually, all from one screen (I was thinking of adding a date/time stamp in there as well for added assurance). Also, when updates are detected, they are guided to update everything in bulk from the main screen, but can also individually download updates by going to the currently used update screen.

4 Comments
RobertAnderson3

The process could definitely be streamlined. I like the saved clicks and clear buttons.

I'm curious as well, with the 'Require update' setting, is there not a way it could automatically download the update without any input from the user?

abureaux

That is a fantastic suggestion. Maybe make it a separate option in the Corp Settings, but a "automatically download updates while connected" option would be welcomed.

ClayDonaldsonSWCA

Great suggestion! I wouldn't mind a little icon or badge that would display an update is available on each form as well.

abureaux

@ClayDonaldsonSWCAGreat idea! I love the idea of reducing the "mystery meat" navigation, and that would really help. Since Esri tends to like "1 idea per thread" for tracking purposes, I would suggest making that into a new idea.