Edit versioned feature service in Survey123

10-28-2020 07:35 AM
AriLukas
Occasional Contributor

I came across this issue (which appears to be a known problem) when trying to create a Survey123 form for our city's fire department to conduct Hydrant Inspections. They requested I replicate the paper form that they have been using for years as closely as I could into a digital format; enter Survey123.

However, I'm sure as many of you know when I tried to tie the form to my hydrant layer I received the dreaded error message: supports ApplyEditsWithGlobleID must be true. After some back and forth with Esri support we determined that this was due to my data being versioned. Due to multiple people in fire department, as well as water department interacting with hydrants, all work needs to be QA/QC to make sure connectivity remains in place as well as other general edits appearing correct, un-versioning data is not an option for our organization. 

Editing versioned data is not an issue with Collector. It would be fantastic if this could carry over to Survey123. Having the ability to edit fields in versioned data from a form rather than going through collector allows those folks who have little to no knowledge of GIS to still edit data in the field. 

2 Comments
ahargreaves_FW

Cross posting with other cries for help to  @JamesTedrick  and team I've made for this to happen:

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-questions/survey123-for-portal-using-versioned-layers...

AlfredBaldenweck

Please, please add this. People have identified the need since at least 2018 (6 whole years ago!)

The whole great thing about being able to use an enterprise geodatabase is that 1) you can version and 2) the data doesn't have to be hosted to use in mobile data collection.

Letting us capitalize on these capabilities by allowing us to collect data directly into the feature class would be amazing and cut down on a lot of work; a colleague of mine made an entire workflow that involved downloading the survey to a file geodatabase, then copying the data into the appropriate table in the enterprise geodatabase. 

Why go through all that trouble (and potential for things to get mixed up or dropped along the way) when we could just collect directly into the feature class?

This is badly-needed functionality and the application could greatly benefit from it.

Working with existing Feature Services in ArcGIS Survey123 (esri.com)