Declined Signature Option within Signatures

05-03-2023 01:44 PM
Labels (3)
GIS_Fox
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All,

There have been a number of Survey123 forms I've put out for field users to publicly collect citizen input that have signatures either for consent or record. My idea is a slight addition/modification to this for the sake of record and maintaining accurate and protective record rights.

JansenLyons_2-1683146085697.png

In some cases the public has declined to provide a signature which is fine, but often Surveys have this field is a requirement; and surveys can have missing signatures without a reason or paper trail proving why causing concern or problem with records later on if it is an official record or something important. On forms where a signature is required, for the sake of accurate records keeping, I was curious if there was a way to cache or add within the Signature option to have both the field for signatures as well as a small button for either the user or surveyee to select to "Decline Signature" or an other for written input.

JansenLyons_3-1683146204514.png

Declined, Declined to provide, other, and/or a blank text field for written input as shown above is the aim.

Many public forms have this either for convenience or for official record, allowing those taking the survey to state in record the individual(s) declined to sign and perhaps state why with or without attenuating circumstances. eg Party unable, unwilling, or not necessary for signature. Often for time or size of the survey being taken, this is left out and without having to add an entire other selection, button, or input question from the list of question options to collect this data, having a built in decline option as a part of the Signature question as a default or toggle on/off option would be a great aid and help maintain as well as protect accurate record and reporting with regards to surveyee signatures. 

Further modifications could include rules for if the signee declines or not if necessary but for review and record reporting it would help protect organizations with these kinds of questions as well as those taking the surveys from any question about the data or survey being taken. Thankfully it is not common problem or immediate concern, but it is an idea I've had for a bit and wanted to see what the devs or community thought and to help mitigate possible future problems. Curious to hear what you think or if there's been use cases to tie into? 

Naturally if this is needed quickly a short surveyor toggle can filter or select yes signature given or not or have a likert but those are not inherently linked to a signature, a declined signature input within the Signature question is and is a clearer record or input to ask for.

Thanks,

3 Comments
jcarlson

In Survey122 Connect, it is possible to make a field's requirement contingent upon another answer. So you could have a single choice question for declining to sign, and your signature question could be required except if "decline" is chosen.

DougBrowning

Yes you can add this to the relvant.  The drop down just says yes but any expresson that validates to true will work.  It may yell at you but it will go.

example

${question} != "Declined"

GIS_Fox

Hi @DougBrowning & @jcarlson , thanks for the suggestions and explaining the Connect capabilities. I should have been more specific this is the Web Survey123 but I am glad the Connect has the ability to get to what I've got in my head. I'll still leave this post in case it will help in the Web Designer S123 but I'll have to check out the Connect rules for requiring it or coding it in. Looking forward to it, sincerely,