Appearance option to view Repeats stacked in Survey123 app

06-01-2017 09:06 AM
CamilleBeasley
New Contributor III

Repeat groups offer a good way to collect soil profile data, as profiles often have differing numbers of horizons and each horizon requires roughly the same details to be recorded about it. However, the Survey123 app only shows one repeat record (e.g., one horizon) at a time, requiring users to toggle left and right between them. When evaluating a soil profile to determine if it is hydric, it's important to be able to view all the horizons at once, so the app is not conducive to this. The Web Form displays each record stacked on one another, which would make the evaluation easier, but people collecting soil data in the field often do not have internet/4G access. Therefore, it would be nice if an Appearance option could be added for Repeats in the Survey123 app to appear with each record stacked on one another so the user can view multiple records at once and simply scroll up and down between them. I realize some people may like toggling between single records to reduce screen clutter, so the default Appearance could remain that way, but adding a "stacked" option for Appearance would allow for more layout flexibility, which is one of the main things Survey123 currently lacks in my opinion. I think the grid-theme that's in development would mesh well with this option to reduce screen clutter.

33 Comments
JohnRagosta

Yes, this is needed.  I am designing data collection tools for ecologists collecting LPI and production data.  They would like to be able to easily see previous selections without having to navigate forward and backward each time.  My thought was to use the type = note field along with a calculation to choose previous responses so that's it's displayed.  But none of the regular expressions seem equipped to do this.  Anyone have luck with this?

Chris_976

I can only join my voice here. This feature would be of great help as some workflows imply a lot of short repeats wich are tedious to fill in by navigating through them !!

DavidRichey

Another up-vote. Combining this with a grid theme (which I've not yet successfully implemented) could make for some nice construction of lists--like plants lists--or equipment needed. Currently users have to enter each record and scroll back and forth, keeping a mental list in their mind. One synoptic view would be great.

DuncanKinnear

+1 for this idea - seems like a crucial piece of functionality.

Our field teams spend a lot of time collecting flora species at sample sites, but need the ability to quickly update final cover % and average plant heights at the end. Rather than having to scroll through each repeat, a summary table would make this so much faster, and also make it easy to check what species have already been entered!

I'm building a clunky workaround to this to try and avoid having to go back to paper-based field entry or Excel etc.

gls
by

Another vote here! We are also collecting plant data (multiple species at sample sites) using repeats. Having to scroll through each one is painful. Stacking the repeats / having them display as a table would be very helpful. Otherwise, as @DuncanKinnear  says above, we are having to revert back to paper forms or spreadsheets.

PortalAdmin1

Massive +1 for this idea.

Transitioning from a "dumber" pdf/form entry app for borings, concrete strength testing, compaction testing, etc. All of which require roughly 8 col by 8 row "sample" table data entry and presentation (nested within a parent 3-5 count "set" repeat) that is far more useful in a seperate related table.

Have recreated repeat data in note type tables side by side to speed up inbox review by a second user but it's such a inefficient limitation. And the amount of arrow clicks to input is crazy.

Strahanjen

This feature is essential for our biologists as well. We have the same use case as mentioned by @DuncanKinnear 

I tried using index-repeat to display a table of species observations outside of the repeat (see attached), with a cover class question for each row.  Inside the repeat, I set the cover class calculation to use pulldata to get the value from the corresponding question outside of the repeat, but the cover class  inside the repeat only updates if the user views each repeat record. Thus, the workaround does not work. There is no way to force the user to click through each of the records to make sure that the cover class observations are written to each repeat record. 

We're getting desperate for a solution. The biologists may simply prefer to use paper... 

observations_table.png 

rsiebenmann_ARO

Still need this for the environmental sciences where teams want to be able to add new data inside a repeat while still being able to see a list of the previous entries.

mrosekulick

Yes please!

PegGronemeyer1

Definitely need this as a selling point to field biologists who are suspicious of going digital.  

Obviously not needed with some workflows, but highly repetitive data entry is pretty common....

Thank you