Allow Survey123 Field App to rename attached files based on an answer to question in the survey

11-02-2022 12:07 PM
Labels (3)
LMedeirosUI
Occasional Contributor

TL/DR: Set default file name in Survey123 Connect/web design for easy renaming of multi-file uploads

I use Connect to design surveys.The surveys are used to track ovarian development over time in PIT tagged fish. Our workflow necessitates use of the "Inbox" to edit entries after they have been submitted so that we can attach files (all are images) collected using an ultrasound. 

If I use the "Image" question in multiline appearance, I can individually attach the photos and use the "fileName" feature recently implemented to associate each picture with the PIT tag of the fish for easy reporting (i.e., fish are not sampled in the same order and PIT tag is the unique identifier). However, I must upload each image individually. I sample 100 fish every month and collect 3-5 images per fish. That's a lot of individual clicking (especially considering I cannot set the default image folder location).

If I use the "File" question, I can upload multiple files at once and save a lot of time. However, I cannot rename the uploaded files. I know that this would be more complicated as uploading files all at once makes it harder to guarantee a unique identifier (e.g., the "now()" function added to the end of the image name), but it seems like naming the files based on image metadata or even a random order (adding Fish_"date_photoX" depending on order of when upload completed for that particular file) should work. Not being able to integrate the PIT tag into the image name means I have to do that prior to the upload and this could create a source of error.

1 Comment
ChaselWood

Commenting here to hopefully get some traction (idk if that is how it works). Currently I have a batch file that renames photos to an appropriate syntax, but this idea would work much better as the batch file doesnt read the data. Currently its a date based change, but allowing automated renaming via actual data would be most ideal. 

When working with large collection systems, this would be very valuable.