What's new in ArcGIS Survey123 (March 2022)

03-24-2022 06:19 AM
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
3 8 1,867

Focused fixes are at the heart of the March 2022 update, although we also managed to squeeze  in some new features! Here are the highlights:

Survey123 web designer

With the Survey123 web designer you can visually create your own smart forms, right from a web browser. In this update we added two new enhancements:

Address question type now supports 'Do not submit answer'.

The 'Do not submit answer' option allows you to configure questions in your form to collect information from the user, without storing it in ArcGIS.  The Address question type now supports this option.

IsmaelChivite_0-1647965146026.png

Why would this be useful? Consider a situation where you want respondents to enter the location of an event, but for privacy reasons you do not want to store the exact location. You can now present an address question to the user and configure it to not submit the answer. Using a calculation in another question, you can extract the postal code and city from the entered address. When the survey is submitted, the city and postal code will be stored, but not the actual address.

Single choice and Dropdown question types now support 'Hide from survey'.

The 'Hide from survey' option helps you add a new question to your form and hide it from the user. Typically, this option is used when you want to calculate a value without distracting the respondent. For example, in the scenario described above, the City and Postal Code questions are automatically calculated, but their values are hidden to the respondent.

Starting with this update, Single choice and Dropdown question types now support 'Hide from survey'.

IsmaelChivite_1-1647966052109.png

In the screenshot above, I added a Single choice question type. Note that I set its default value to 'Submitted' and I also enabled the 'Hide from survey' option. In this way, every time the survey is sent, we get a value of 'Submitted' in the Status field. Respondents will not see the status or be able to modify it, since the question is hidden.

The Status values will be useful later, when following-up on data submitted. Since the Status field has three possible values (Submitted, In progress and Closed), data reviewers will be able to easily change the status of records right from within the Survey123 website or a custom web application built with Experience Builder.

Survey123 web app

New URL parameter: ?hide=leaveDialog

As you may already know, the Survey123 web application supports a number of URL parameters that you can use to control the behavior of your web form. For any newly published survey, you can now use ?hide=leaveDialog. This parameter will prevent web browsers from prompting the end user with a confirmation dialog when they are redirected to a different URL without having completed the survey. 

IsmaelChivite_2-1647967323899.png

This parameter will give you extra control in scenarios where you want to redirect users to other web pages, or when you include a link in your survey to change the language of the form.

Note: For hide=leaveDialog to work on existing surveys, you need to republish your survey using the latest version of the web designer or Survey123 Connect.

pulldata("@layer") in beta

Some users have requested the ability to query layers (spatial and/or attribute queries) without the need to use a custom JavaScript function. In this update, and only for the Survey123 web app, we added support for a couple of XLSForm functions:

• pulldata("@layer","getRecord")
  • pulldata("@layer","getRecordAt")

These functions will help you perform point-in-polygon and attribute queries within your form logic. Here are a couple of examples where these functions could be handy:

• In this form, I use a point-in-polygon query in a question constraint to make sure no incidents outside the boundaries on the United States are submitted.
  • In this form, I use a point-in-polygon query to automatically calculate the UTC offset for the location you submit.

The pulldata("@layer") functions are in beta. You will need to use Survey123 Connect to author forms with this capability and the functions will currently only work in the Survey123 web app. Survey123 Connect and the field app will ignore pulldata("@layer") for now. For more details and to provide feedback, refer to the Survey123 Early Adopter Community.

Work with CSV data in Survey123 video

Fixes

Survey123 field app

• BUG-000147388 Prepopulating answers through a custom URL doesn’t work in Survey123 Field App when the questions have a relevant statement
  • BUG-000137679 ArcGIS Survey123 3.11 field app opens the inbox instead of an individual form when the query parameter is used in the custom URL
  • BUG-000136995 Opening a survey via a QR code on a recent Android device using the stock camera app fails
  • BUG-000137186 The ArcGIS Survey123 field app (Android) is unable to enter a phone number in a field with an input mask of (999-999-9999)
  • BUG-000143984 The Microsoft Power Automate webhook does not trigger if the survey is edited and submitted from an inbox
  • Press-to-locate appearance is now supported in the field app for geopoint questions. This appearance will recenter the map when the respondent interacts with the map question.

Survey123 web app

• BUG-000143259 The ArcGIS Survey123 web app does not recalculate the horizontal accuracy of a manually edited location in a geopoint question
  • BUG-000129577 The read-only Date question field type can be edited in Survey123 on Safari on iOS devices
  • BUG-000139766 The '?mode=edit&globalId=' parameter does not work when using basemaps with the ETRS1989UTM32 or UTM33 coordinate systems

Survey123 website

• BUG-000143505 Filtering survey submissions in ArcGIS Survey123 website based on a select_multiple question does not load the choices in the drop-down list when the 'is' or 'is not' operator is used
  • BUG-000145589 Unable to share results from the ArcGIS Survey123 website hosted on a virtual machine

Learn more and next steps

As usual, you can find more information in our What's New documentation.  Our plan is to release a new update with fixes before the end of April and new features in our May-June release.  There is tons of new exciting features for Survey123 coming up this year, including:

• Support for location tracking in the Survey123 field app
  • Floor-aware smart forms and support for ArcGIS Indors and IPS
  • Integration with RFID readers and more laser range finders
  • Captcha for web surveys
  • And much more!

. Check the latest through the Survey123 Early Adopter website!

8 Comments
AdriannaBarton
New Contributor III

This update has caused an error in Connect when saving the .xls. When there is an error within the form, no specific error is given, its always "Error converting XLS". I posted about this in the Survey123 Questions yesterday. Please respond asap. Thank you @IsmaelChivite!

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@AdriannaBarton   You are right. I just posted an internal note so this can be addressed.

RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III

Hey @IsmaelChivite, has anyone else had the issue where you cannot edit your own submitted surveys anymore? Apparently this only happens with surveys that have been published with the web designer. I have a bug logged for it, but this has been a huge issue for us and I really don't see any mention of it in the community here. Just wondering if you've heard about this from other folks. 

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@RobbHodges 

As shown in the animation below, I had no problem editing my own records. The software works as expected. It is possible that you may have not configured your survey appropriately to allow edits. Could that be the case? To configure your survey to support edits, go into the Collaborate tab and check permissions. See the screenshot below for details.

Edit_Test.gif

IsmaelChivite_0-1648544364778.png

RobbHodges
Occasional Contributor III

@IsmaelChivite I guess I should have been more specific. So the issue occurs when a user tries to edit his own sent survey on the iPad. 

we have about 10 or so surveys. This just started happening with the last update to Survey123. It was a universal issue, occurring to all the surveys and we hadn’t made any changes. 

The issue was replicated by customer service and listed as a bug, however, I hadn’t seen anyone in the community talking about the problem. This doesn’t affect surveys created with connect….only those created with the web designer. 

ldurland
New Contributor II

Any documentation about the floor aware feature that is coming soon? Interested to know whats the plan regarding this. 

Thanks. 

JamesFaron
Occasional Contributor

Just an update that BUG-000147388 (Prepopulating answers through a custom URL doesn’t work in Survey123 Field App when the questions have a relevant statement) is not fixed on the latest version of the Survey123 field app after upgrading from 3.14. Survey123 Connect upgraded to 3.15.165, and Survey123 field app upgraded to 3.15.145. This is for ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1. I logged this with technical support, but I've banging this around for a couple of days now as well. Perhaps it would be helpful to distinguish between the online version of Survey123 and ArcGIS Enterprise when working through bugs such as this?

DavidHines
New Contributor II

@IsmaelChivite  Is there any updates on the integration with RFID readers?