Minor update to the Survey123 Field App Available (2.8)

05-15-2018 10:04 PM
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
7 11 2,420

A minor update to the Survey123 field app has been made available in the Apple, Google Play and Amazon app stores.  If you happen to use the Survey123 field app on your laptop or desktop computer, the setups are also available for Windows, Mac and Linux.

The build number for the Survey123 field app and Connect is now 2.8

This release includes a handful of critical fixes:

• Regression on Public Surveys: Our 2.7 release introduced an issue that prevented the use of Public Surveys if no user was logged into the Survey123 field app. This is now addressed, allowing the use of Public Surveys in the field app even if there  is no user logged-in. Thanks to all of you who promptly reported this problem and helped diagnose it through this GeoNet Group.
  • Check for offline conditions on Windows: This update includes a fix that enhances Survey123's ability to detect if your device is connected or not, when working on Windows. We have observed some reports of Survey123 on Windows not detecting offline/online conditions when working on very specific network configurations. The offline/online check is much better now.
  • BUG-000107663 Features do not display in webmap after submission by the field app: Some of you have reported that ArcGIS Online Web Maps with a refresh interval set, were not automatically showing new features added from the Survey123 field app.  The problem was caused by a combination of issues in both ArcGIS Online feature services and the Survey123 field app. All problems are solved now!

We plan on updating the Survey123 website in the next couple of weeks, bringing a handful of enhancements and fixes. Stay tuned.

Tags (2)
11 Comments
NicolasRoger
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the fix. I am trying to download the app for windows but the version number still says 2.7.98. Am I missing something?

EDIT: The problem is now solved.

TaraBoswell
New Contributor III

Just curious if anyone has had problems submitting surveys since this update was put out? I have 2 staff that are suddenly getting 1003 error codes when submitting surveys on a form that they had no problem using heavily in the days leading up to the update. Starting the day after though, they are getting error 1003 when trying to submit.

(I know from other geonet posts that values getting entered into the form that do not match up with allowable inputs on the feature service end can also throw that code, but I find it interesting that no problems existing using the survey prior to the date the update was pushed out so would like to rule out the update as the culprit).

If the problem is something in the survey, is there any way to get more detailed info on the error, that might point to what PART of the survey is problematic?

There is a lot of important rare species data that we have stuck on these 2 iPads right now, until we get this figured out

Thanks,

Tara

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tara,

Can you share the form so we can attempt to duplicate the submission issue?  Are you able recover the data by using the workflow in Troubleshoot—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS  - getting the data from the iPads and submitting on a another computer?  To my knowledge, nothing was altered with the submission procedure in 2.8 - that being said, there was a change in 2.7. 

BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tara,

In terms of getting of getting more information related to the error, please have your staff members encountering the issue capture an error log using the following steps on one or both of their iPad devices...

1. Open Survey123 field app
  2. Navigate to ‘Settings’ from hamburger menu in top right corner
  3. Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the bottom menu
  4. Turn logging on 
  5. Go through attempt to submit survey which generates ‘1003’ error

You can then use iTunes to extract the ArcGIS folder from the Survey123 app which will contain the error logs.  If possible, can you please send one or both of these logs to barmstrong AT esri.com?

Thank you,

Brandon

TaraBoswell
New Contributor III

I did turn on the error logging and tried to resubmit the survey. The problem I'm running into now is trying to get the ArcGIS folder off our iPad devices. We have multiple iPads set up via the same iTunes account here, which I don't have control over. When I plug the iPad in, iTunes does open up but I can't get to anything in there except music and photos. There's no place I can seem to find files on the device. It is very frustrating. This is all I can access:

BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Once the iPad is plugged in, you should see the following...

Once clicking on the device icon (circled in red above) you should have the option to select 'File Sharing' from the side panel.

If you are still having issues, please feel free to email me directly so that we can troubleshoot.

Best,

Brandon

BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tara,

As mentioned via email, this issue is being caused by a Feature layer setting that prevents non-admin users from submitting surveys that contain an attachment. 

In particular, if the setting ‘Editors can only edit their own features’   is selected for the “What features can editors edit” section of a feature layer participating in a survey, error 1003 may be encountered by non-admin users attempting to submit a survey containing attachments.

In order to address the issue, it was necessary to return the default setting on the the feature layer to ‘Editors can edit all features’, and republish.  After doing so, non-admin users were able to submit surveys containing attachments without error.

This current misalignment with ArcGIS Online feature service settings affecting Survey123 surveys is being looked at, and will be addressed in a future release of ArcGIS Online.

Best Regards,

Brandon

DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Is there a register online that shows the release dates for each version? and maybe links to the release notes?

I'm having trouble with keeping our fleet up to date and it would be nice to have a quick reference to go to and work out when the version was released.

Just a pinned blog post would be fine, not essential just handy.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Dan,

How about using the What's new page in the Survey123 documentation: What's new in Survey123—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Phil.

DanielMcIlroy
Occasional Contributor

Perfect! Thanks 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tara,

Just letting you know a recent hotfix has been applied to AGO which should resolve the issue of not being able to send attachments to feature layers where "Editors can only edit their own features (requires tracking)" has been applied.

If you still require this setting, can you please try and apply it again to your feature layer and re-test sending attachments from the app.

Regards,

Phil.