Minor Update to Survey123 Available (August 16, 2018)

08-16-2018 03:54 PM
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor
1 14 1,574

This update is focused on the Survey123 field app and Survey123 Connect, which have been updated across all supported platforms. The new build number for the Field app is 3.0.144 and is available in the Apple, Google Play and Amazon App Stores. You can also download the Survey123 app and Survey123 Connect build 3.0.138, from our Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS download page.

This is a maintenance release introducing a handful of fixes. Here are the most important:

BUG-000111702 : Surveys created using Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS apply a restriction on high resolution photos when the photo is taken using the camera within the application, even when the image settings are set to unrestricted.

This issue was also raised through Survey123 is it possible to upload original resolution photos? and Survey123 photo ratio differences 

For context, Survey123 Connect includes a number of settings that let the author of a survey control the size of images uploaded into ArcGIS. The Image settings can be accessed as shown in the next animation.  Up until this release, the 'Unrestricted' mode was not working properly because images where being reduced in size.

The image size setting applies to photos taken with the built-in Survey123 camera. Images selected from your photo gallery in the device are uploaded to ArcGIS without modification.

When using Unrestricted mode or when browsing for local photos, be aware that files larger than 10Mb will not upload into ArcGIS Online.   If working with ArcGIS Enterprise, you can set the maximum size of files to be uploaded as described at Uploads—ArcGIS REST API: Services Directory | ArcGIS for Developers 

BUG-000114671 : Survey123 for ArcGIS 2.8.2 crashes on iOS 11.4 when the Record Audio button is pressed if Thai or Arabic language is listed in the iOS Operating System Language and Region Settings for Preferred Language Order list.

BUG-000115406 : Surveys made in the Survey123 website using JPEG thumbnails display blank/incorrect thumbnails when downloaded in Survey123 Connect for ArcGIS and the Survey123 field app.

Calculations behavior : This is a change dealing with the behavior of XLSForm calculations in surveys from the Drafts, Sent and Inbox folders.  There are a number of GeoNet discussions highlighting the issue such as Calculate field not working properly after saving a draft.

More than a software defect, this is a matter of defining what the correct behavior should be for calculations when a form is loaded from the Drafts/Sent/Inbox folders. We have been going back and forth on this one based on your input, initially always re-calculating and overwriting values, then disabling calculations on the initial load. Starting with this update, we have implemented a solution that falls somewhere in between. We want to thank all of you who have worked with us through the Early Adopter Program and this GeoNet Group to define a logical solution that works in your use cases.

In short, XLSForm Calculations will execute when your form is initially loaded from the Draft, Sent and Inbox folders. If the output of the calculation is different to the value found in the corresponding question, then we will enable the 'refresh' button on the question to let the end-user decide if the previously existing response should be overwritten. If the output of the calculation is the same as already found in the question, then no refresh button will be shown to the end-user and the value will remain untouched.  In either case, calculations will continue to trigger as usual as the form gets edited by the end-user.

Geopoint questions set to null within a repeat : As described in a discussion under this post https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/10/26/the-power-of-nothing , geopoint questions within a repeat could not be set to a null esriFieldType. This problem has now been addressed.

We are planning to release a couple more fixes-only maintenance updates before our 3.1 release. Please keep your feedback coming through Esri Tech Support and this GeoNet Group.  As usual, we will do our best to be responsive to your requests.  The next fixes-only update is tentatively scheduled around the end of August, in just a couple of weeks.

Other notes:

• For an archive of What is New in Survey123, please refer to our documentation topic: What's new in Survey123—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 
  • The source code of the Survey123 for ArcGIS AppStudio Enterprise Template will not be updated until our 3.1 release (tentatively planned for October 2018).  The most recent builds of Survey123 were built using AppStudio 3.1, which is still not publicly available.
Tags (1)
14 Comments
DHEERABHATLEELAWUTTICHOKE
Esri Contributor

Ismael Chivite I found one problem after upgrading the Survey123 mobile app to the latest version. After downloading the survey form, it was stuck at "Downloading thumbnail" screen. Could you please advise.

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dheerabhat,

Can you forward the survey folder (xlsx & associated files)?  I also see that none of your surveys are showing the form thumbnails - does that happen normally for you?

DHEERABHATLEELAWUTTICHOKE
Esri Contributor

Hi James Tedrick,

It is a very simple workflow. Could you please see in an attached video.

I also see that none of your surveys is showing the form thumbnails - does that happen normally for you? Yes.

My environment: ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6

Thanks,

Dheerabhat

ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

What message does the user get when attempting to upload a local file that exceeds 10 MG?

Thanks,

Shana

JamesTedrick

Hi Dheerabhat,

It would be helpful to capture a log from Survey123 attempting to download a survey.  That being said, it sounds likely the issue is the lack of thumbnail - either they are lacking in your portal or some network setting is preventing their transmittal; this is cause a failed request for the thumbnail.

JamesTedrick

Hi Dheerabhat,

I'm also curious by the lack of thumbnails on the Survey123 website in your video.  Does this also happen when you publish surveys from Survey123 Connect? It would also be helpful to understand why the thumbnails aren't being created but the Survey123 website?

Can you add a thumbnail image to the form item via the Enterprise's web pages and retry the survey?  

GregDunnigan
New Contributor III

Regarding the bug fix for field calculations, will this affect Surveys that have already been sent?  Meaning that if a user opens a Survey that has already been sent, will all fields will calculate again?  Or do the fields that were part of the formula need to be changed?  Or is it only for new Surveys going forward?

Thanks!

JamesTedrick

Hi Greg,

This should not affect surveys that have already been sent. If a user were to open an already sent survey, the values will be compared to what values a calculation would provide for that question.  If they match, then the question will be have the calculation 'active' - any change to the values contributing to the calculation will cause the calculation to be updated.  If the value of the question does not match the value that would be calculated, the calculation is 'inactive' - changing other questions will not have any impact on the question (it is presumed to have been manually overridden).

ChrisRoberts2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi

I realise that this is a few months old, but just found the same issue. I discovered that it  was due to the thumbnail size (15mb).  I removed the thumbnail and reverted to the default one and the issue resolved.  I think this is a new bug though as this wasnt an issue previously

usuarioredes
New Contributor III

Estimado Ismael, junto con saludar, me dirijo a usted para realizar la siguiente pregunta:  Resulta que tengo vinculado Survey 123 con Collector for ArcGIS por medio de una URL desde la ventana emergente del Mapa Web de ArcGIS , donde luego lo compartí para visualizarlo en Collector. no he tenido problemas para abril el formulario desde mi teléfono pero lo que necesito es que al momento de enviar la encuesta el activo visualizado en Collector cambie de color para diferenciar el trabajo realizado con lo faltante, me seria me mucha ayuda su opinión.

Atentamente se despide Cristian Fuentes.

TL2
by

"In short, XLSForm Calculations will execute when your form is initially loaded from the Draft, Sent and Inbox folders. If the output of the calculation is different to the value found in the corresponding question, then we will enable the 'refresh' button on the question to let the end-user decide if the previously existing response should be overwritten. If the output of the calculation is the same as already found in the question, then no refresh button will be shown to the end-user and the value will remain untouched.  In either case, calculations will continue to trigger as usual as the form gets edited by the end-user."

When I open a form from drafts, I receive the refresh button where the calculated values equal to what is already in the field.  As a simple example, I have a date field that calculates today().  Every time I open it from drafts, it gives me the refresh button, even when the date is equal to today.

I have dozens of fields that show the refresh button when the values equal the calculated values.  My operators are getting confused.

Upon opening this survey from drafts today (1/11/2019), I see this:

I refresh to get this:

JamesTedrick

Hi,

Can you share the survey?  I am not seeing this behavior in a test survey.

TL2
by

I should have clarified that this seems to be a issue with the Windows version.  I tested a simple survey with only the date field and was only able to reproduce it on Windows.  This is where I am seeing the issue in PRD.

JamesTedrick

Hi,

I'm not seeing this when I attempt to replicate in Windows. Can you share the survey? (E-mail me directly at jtedrick@Esri.com if need be).