In a GIF: Spruce up that Survey123 submission page in 45 seconds

07-31-2020 08:25 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
11 6 3,268

A user has just filled out a form using a survey designed with ArcGIS Survey123. When they click the Submit button, what do they see? Is it a bunch of boring lines of text and a default green check mark? Or is it a custom branded, animated page that looks like you hired a team of developers to create? Let's dive into how you can take that Survey123 submission page to the next level, with this #InAGIF!

A check mark with a circle loading around it

With the latest version of Survey123, you can upload images to the submission page in the web application by selecting Design > Settings > and clicking the image button. You'll then see the option to upload an image to your survey. And it doesn't take specialized software to create the image above! It was actually created in PowerPoint, as outlined in the video below:

A video outlining how to create an animated .gif in PowerPoint using animations.

Using just PowerPoint animations and a basic screen capture software, you can create .gifs to add to Survey123

In this basic example, a circle and check mark were created in Microsoft PowerPoint. Then, animations were applied. Finally, the animation was played in slideshow mode, while a screen recording software captured the animation. If you have more advanced tools for .gif creation, you could use those, too!

This is a basic example. To really make things look great, make sure the animation matches your organization's theme colors and the colors of the survey. Additionally, set the .gif to only loop once, like in the example below (refresh this article--you may have missed it!). This ensures the animation doesn't repeat over-and-over again. 

Not moving? Refresh this article--you may have missed it!

You can pair this styling with some added functionality. For example, adding the ?autoRefresh=4 parameter to Survey123 will allow users to fill out the form, submit, see your image for 4 seconds, then the survey will refresh for the next submission.

6 Comments
KarinaLivingston
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike, 

I really like this idea and I made my own. It has been working great, thanks for sharing! I recently made a new survey and wanted to add the short little gif I made or my previous survey and I am no longer seeing an option to upload a file but only a URL for an image (in Design- Settings- Thank You Screen). Have you or anyone else experienced this? 

ZhifangWang
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Karina Livingston‌,

Do you use the Survey123 website to create surveys in ArcGIS Enterprise by using ?portalUrl= URL parameter?

Uploading an image from your local disk is only available for surveys created in ArcGIS Online currently. We have an enhancement issue in the dev repo to support this for ArcGIS Enterprise survey, but please feel free to raise an enhancement request to Esri Support service to prioritize it in our feature plan.

If this is not the case, please let us know.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Karina,

While you may not be able to upload a gif directly to the survey with Enterprise (at this time), you can host the gif elsewhere (like imgur, etc) and reference the URL.

For example, a gif like this one (https://media.tenor.com/images/cbae2dfd31aa5ec2fcb7f46b65e1550f/tenor.gif) (Source: Tenor, jitendratada22) added in the Image URL line.

KarinaLivingston
Occasional Contributor

Hello Zhifang,

I created the survey using Survey123 Connect. I went ahead and just made a static image of our logo with a checkmark to use for now. I was using the gif but for now, the image will work. 

Thank you!

KarinaLivingston
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike, 

I had thought about this but for now, I am using an image I created. I will try this out. Thanks! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I was just notified that the Thank You screen isn't displaying as I intended. I created my survey in Connect, and then added the custom Thank You screen on the online app. I see that there's a message stating, "If this content is also set in the XLSForm file, the XLSForm setting will take precedence.", but I didn't set the message in the XLSForm, and I can't see where that would be! 

Update: I didn't change anything, but now it's displaying correctly. I'd give a solution if I knew what happened.