Emergency Management Common Operational Picture Template Problems

04-07-2011 07:35 AM
DariusMott
New Contributor
I have installed the COP Flex 2.x template and have it running fine using the default basemap services.  However, when I switch to our local basemap services I get no response from the ERG Chemical tool.  The actual footprint of the chemical coverage area is returned, however there are no demographics returned and no facilities are reported.  A combination of the default ESRI basemap services and our data layer does return the demographics and facilities.  I have looked and noticed that the default ESRI basemaps are in Spatial Reference: 102100  and our data is in Spatial Reference: 4326.  Could it be the basemap projection that is causing the problems?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelissaHall
New Contributor II
I am by no means an expert but my understanding is that, at least in some versions of the flexviewer everything has to be in WGS1984 and we have just moved most of our services to that projection.  It seems like a fix that is at least worth a try.
0 Kudos
TrevorWeiland
New Contributor III
Yes, all the rest services have to be projected in the same spatial projection.  If you choose to mash-up ESRI, Google, Bing,... services then your rest services must also be in WKID 102100/3857 to allow them all to show up on a common map.

However there are multiple mehtods to get your data into a common projection.  The most extreme way is to reproject your source data into that projection, this makes data display most efficient but you will lose the accuracy of your local projection.  The least extreme is to force arcgis server to preproject your data on-the-fly to the desired projection.  Reprojecting-on-the-fly is very processor intensive so the service draw time will suffer.  For static data, reprojecting-on-the-fly with caching will negates the issue completely.  Another option is to reproject your data into another GDB (FGDB on the same server as AGS is most efficient but cannot be web-edited through a Feature service).  In my opinion, the best anwser is a combination of methods based on the specific use of that data: reproject some data into a FGDB, cache other data, and reproject-on-the-fly edit data.
0 Kudos